Wounded or dead deer?

30-06 type of guy

Yesterday morning I was able to get a shot on what would have been my biggest buck. Tracked him for 200 yards according to GPS but no luck. Shot was lower than expected which was a low shoulder shot. Found bone in a few places but blood would be ok then trickle then pouring in a few spots then it either stopped was very little and couldn't find a drop. He ran to neighboring property which I got permission to cross and tracked but didn't want to wreck their area. What would you expect to be the outcome?
b7a4c78a47569bc543a23a71360fb61b.jpg
a6b303b779d257391e8b22532635040d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

catman529

You may have just grazed the heart, hard to say if it's a lethal hit but I'd definitely go back and keep looking in the neighbors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

30-06 type of guy

Thanks guys. I backed out because I was asked not to walk all over the property so I wanted to respect theirs as they would mine. He crossed a creek bed then went up hill looked to be following a heavily used trail. Neighbors said they would keep an eye out for birds. If he's dead I hope they find him.

30-06 type of guy

TnTurk":328eg7wo said:
Any fat mixed with the bone you found?
What about hair where he was standing?
Yes there were pieces of fat as well not exactly with the bone I found. Believe there was 2 maybe 3 places were I found bone. There was hair at impact spot.
07b73eaecffa6c27cbf7d101d5096cd2.jpg

cbhunter

30-06 type of guy":7af4fg94 said:
This is when the shot occurred
5d8651db8b8b2fcf5d8fad1104148cf5.jpg

jusging by the white bone showing (I assume that's what I see) I think the shot was a little too low and that he will survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mtncur76

[/
jusging by the white bone showing (I assume that's what I see) I think the shot was a little too low and that he will survive.] X2 looks like the pic with the most blood in it is were stood for a minute leg shots can go for mIles

mowen

Looks identical to my buddies last weekend. Found it 54 yards from spot of the shot. Hope you find him, definitely keep looking.

elk

I had one similar last year. Hit was low and broke both shoulders. Recovered the deer the next day but had to be put down. If you got one shoulder he may live, if both shoulders he will most likely die a slow death or be killed by coyotes.

Bone Collector

I think you may have hit the leg and may have actually blew it off or partially off. I have done it before. it was a doe. Tracked here for 600 yds after i got permission to go onto the property she ran onto. we bumped her twice. The amount of blood was insane for the first 200 yds. I thought no way she could live. I don't know if she did, but we never recovered her and never saw buzzards.

Latest posts