Wounded Deer Question

outdoors crazy

A friend of mine was getting a big buck on camera last year. He finally got the chance in late December to take the animal. Unfortunately he made a bad shot and was unable to recover the animal. In January he was able to get a picture of the buck with a wound on its back hip. A few weeks ago he was able to capture the buck on camera again. Only this time the rack was NOT what it was. Although unigue...one side is tall and big with only 2 points and the other is a short curved spike. You can see the scar on the back hip..thats how they identified it. Any chance this deer will be a "nice" buck again next year?

bigtex

Nope. When a deer gets a bad wound on say it's right hind leg the opposite side of the rack will be messed up.

Elmer

let him know most of the time when an injury has effects on the opposite side of the rack it is just a one year thing and the next rack(most of the time)will reach potential on both sides

BSK

P@Y said:
let him know most of the time when an injury has effects on the opposite side of the rack it is just a one year thing and the next rack(most of the time)will reach potential on both sides

[My bold emphasis added above]

That is not necessarily true. Injury-related antler deformations can last for life.

TNDeerGuy

BSK said:
P@Y said:

[My bold emphasis added above]

That is not necessarily true. Injury-related antler deformations can last for life.

X2! I have two bucks that have been running around our neighborhood for several years that have "messed up" racks due to being hit by cars. One was a nice 8pt that was hit by a neighbor 3 years ago and he he has a bad limp on the left side ever since the accident and his right-side rack is the goofiest spike you have ever seen�and he has grown like that the last two years.

outdoors crazy

38af084f.jpg

Last Year
93e36dfa.jpg

This year
1431c82f.jpg

DaveB

I am wondering if the pedicule will be damaged from the abnormalities? That would explain why some deer once injured never return to normal antler growth. Kinda goes to show how a healthy adult deer reroutes surplus chemicals from bone growth to antlers. Truly amazing pictures.

Latest posts