Would really appreciate your input on this property, please!

treefarmer

Re: Would really appreciate your input on this property, ple

Since the best trees were taken in the last cut you may want to identify a few upland areas of 2-5 acres each and clear cut them and plant either Loblolly or Shortleaf pine. The areas around you may be open woods so you will have the best bedding area around. You may want to ask the TDOF Area Forester to give you a free visit and make recommendations on how to improve the forest. Each winter I go in with a Stihl saw and a bottle of herbicide and cut down any junk trees such as sourwood, elm, maple, etc. and treat the stump. That way I help any oaks in the area for the long run and maybe get some sunlight on the ground to promote weeds/grasses/vines for wildlife.

treefarmer

The TN Div. of Forestry performs controlled burns and I have 50 acres of 20 yr old pine they are going to burn when the weather allows. Burning in hardwoods is one way to re-start a low quality forest. There is cost sharing available under the EQIP program and they will even pay for a management plan to be created by a forester. First step is to meet with a forester so you can start deciding how you want to manage the property.

fairchaser

Sounds like you got some excellent advice from treefarmer.

Os2 Outdoors

treefarmer":r2n7lk38 said:
Since the best trees were taken in the last cut you may want to identify a few upland areas of 2-5 acres each and clear cut them and plant either Loblolly or Shortleaf pine. The areas around you may be open woods so you will have the best bedding area around. You may want to ask the TDOF Area Forester to give you a free visit and make recommendations on how to improve the forest. Each winter I go in with a Stihl saw and a bottle of herbicide and cut down any junk trees such as sourwood, elm, maple, etc. and treat the stump. That way I help any oaks in the area for the long run and maybe get some sunlight on the ground to promote weeds/grasses/vines for wildlife.
I'm curious. What kind of benefit do you see from 10+ year old pine stands that have shaded out all understory growth and they are open underneath?

Also what food is provided by a young pine stand?

I've just never been a pine fan unless that's all that will grow there basically. If your doing this work strictly for deer/turkey. Nothing surpasses 3-5 year old natural succession growth.

I keep my areas "young" by having areas on a 5 year brush hog rotation or hack an spray to kill all trees in areas where I can't brush hog.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

treefarmer

I attended a UT forestry field day and the forester told us a managed pine stand provides a little more benefit to wildlife than a hardwood stand over a long time period. I have a mature hardwood forest that provides acorns in September some years and that is all. A 10+ year old pine stand doesn't provide much benefit, like my old hardwood stand. If you only want wildlife you can plant the pines wider so it takes more than 10 years to shade out the understory and then you can cut some down to get sunlight to the forest floor again. The main wildlife benefit to a pine stand is due to the weeds/vines/shrubs/grasses that grow between them which is food and cover. I planted my pines on my dry ridge tops where my hardwoods weren't doing well. We thinned our pines 3 years ago and the pines are full of weeds/vines/shrubs/grasses again. Pines are good for wildlife when you plant/thin/thin/cut/replant/repeat which keeps bringing back an open forest. If you bush hog every several years that works as well or better, I can't safely get a bush hog onto my hilly property.

Boll Weevil

Treefarmer (as typical) has offered solid advice.

Regarding planted pines I might add that in addition to what you do in the interior, managing edges of a planted pine stand can deliver great habitat over the life of the rotation. Roadbeds, old loading decks, and thinned rows can provide a tremendous food source that is immediately adjacent to (or deep within) excellent cover. It took 2 years but we pruned the trees along the roads in years 9-11, got more light to the ground, lightly strip disked, and let Ma'Nature do the rest. The new growth will be not only in the road or opening itself but also "reaches" into the stand a bit.

Depending on orientation of the road and available sunlight, there's all sorts of native chow that requires zero maintenance or cost. Upon thinning, that food jumped again. The years after a burn or herbicide release...same thing. A well managed pine stand can be great habitat, just takes a little planning.

csi-tech

+1 on the bush hogging. We managed to get quite a bit done last August and now it is a well illuminated, lush carpet of green.

Latest posts