Woodies

Trapper John

A lot of people will say you can't call a wood duck. Honestly, it is easier to just be where they want to be, but I have, 100%, had them respond to a call both while flying and on the water. They seem to swim to a call more willingly than they'll fly to a call. Big thing I learned from the guys who have been teaching me is the flying wood duck call is about useless for calling them. They just ignore it. When I had them respond I was doing the clucks and purrs and that squeal they make while sitting on the water.

I have wood duck decoys, but I've also had them land in a bunch of mallard decoys, so I'm not really sure whether it matters or not. I figure it couldn't hurt and put some out if I'm set up near a swampy area.

duckriver

Thanks, 2 of our bottoms we plant in beans usually flood and I see them around a lot. Hunting at fuller hill last weekend has gave me the itch to start going after ducks more

benellivol

I don't bother trying to call wood ducks. If I'm hunting in flooded timber or on the river, I'll pitch a few woodie decoys out.

It's more about being where they want to be than calling them in.

I rarely duck hunt in Tennessee, though.

Latest posts