creek woodies ?

hammer33

Got a creek running through the farm I hunt. Always has a couple wood ducks in one or two pools with calmer water.
1. Is it worth trying to get after them?
2. How would you go about it?
New to duck hunting. Have a shotgun and waders but no dog, and a boat wont float through a lot of the creek.
3. How many wood ducks would you need to get to make a decent meal for 2 ?
Thanks !

webfeet7

Shooting a few woodies in a little creek is one of the funnest hunts. Wood ducks usually fly early so be in one of the pools you've been seeing them in before first light and be ready because they're quick!

Displaced_Vol

If you know where they're flying, get there before they fly and be ready. They're quick. Ain't nothing to it and good eating. Bird/person should be plenty

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
#4 shot + improved cylinder choke will be perfect. You don't have to be crazy well brushed, but make sure you at least have some cover *behind* you to break up your outline. You don't want nothing but water behind you. In a creek, you're probably set up on or against the bank, anyway.

Grnwing

As noted above, be ready at legal shooting light, I prefer clear mornings to see better. A couple decoys and a little ripple on the water and you shouldn't have a problem bringing them in. My December duck hunting mostly revolves around woods ducks on small waters and I ll hunt the first 20 minutes of legal and that is more than enough time to pick up your 3. I d encourage you to put up some nest boxes for next years birds, it can be a fun spring project if you have any young kids. Good luck!

Latest posts