WMA - What caliber?

Spikes Tactical

So I was at the range this past weekend and was shooting my .17hmr. A guy asked what I was shooting and I told him it was a .17hmr and I was getting it sighted in for coyote.

He then asked why not a larger caliber. I responded by saying I didn't think you would hunt with centerfire cartridges on WMA land except during firearm deer season.

Was that a correct statement? I remember reading something along those lines.

JP

varminthunter123

Actually, if you check the specs I believe it states that you can hunt with which ever weapon is legal for an open season. That being the case, crow season is open on Fri, Sat and Sun each week and the specs states that a legal firearm for use can be either a rimfire, shotgun or centerfire rifle.

Called Jackson office and they confirmed that on these days of the week you can use a centerfire for coyotes.

redblood

yep. there is a smlla game loophole in the regs that will allow you to use a rimfire during small game season and since a coyote can "be taken on any hunt" you can hunt the, with rimfires. we have done it and killed them with 22 wmr and 17 hmr's. it is far from ideal!!

calledin

Got this response from a TWRA official on Tndeer. Looks like they added a proclomation to let us use centerfires on WMAs that have small game seasons open with statewide

"Rifles and handguns using center-fire ammunition are legal for hunting beaver,bobcat,foxes,coyotes,wild hogs,groundhogs,and crows, ONLY DURING DEER SEASON..."

However, that paragraph was changed in the Proclamation (which is the actual regulation by law) to say:

"Rifles and handguns using center-fire ammunition are legal for hunting beaver, bobcat, foxes, coyotes, groundhogs, and crows, except during deer and bear seasons and on wild hog hunts with dogs permitted. Rifles and handguns using center-fire ammunition prohibited for hunting all small game species on wildlife management areas (except on wildlife management areas open with statewide seasons or as noted in the wildlife management area proclamation or as specified in Section 1.(2) and (5) above)"

In other words... If a Wildlife Management Area is listed as "open with statewide seasons and bag limits" for small game, coyotes may be taken with centerfire rifles. The only restriction is when it is archery only deer season, you have to use a bow to kill a coyote (otherwise people would be out there with a 30-06 claiming to be coyote hunting), and during muzzleloader/archery deer season you can only kill coyotes with a muzzleloader or a bow (for the same reason).

To reinforce the legality of shooting a coyote on a WMA in July with a .223 (as long as it is open to statewide seasons and bag limits), the following is in Proclamation 10-07:

"On WMAs open with statewide seasons, the season dates, bag limits, weapon types, and ammunition types that pertain to the county where the WMA is located apply to that WMA. Special regulations listed specifically for those WMAs still apply."

In other words, if coyote season is open on your friend's farm in the same county, it is open on the WMA.

WARNING: You need to check to make sure the WMA is open to statewide seasons and bag limits, for small game hunting, before taking a .223 to the WMA in July. If there is an exception which prevents it, you cannot. For instance, in Region I...

Barkley WMA says Big Game and Small Game are open with statewide seasons except as noted. Then it notes some exceptions (closed during late duck season in sub-impoundments, etc). Cypress Pond Refuge says Big Game and Small Game are open with statewide, except as noted, and then says, "All seasons closed during refuge closure date." That means you can hunt coyotes with a .223 in the summer, but you can't hunt them from November 15 through the last day of February, because that is the "refuge closure dates." (I know we close the refuges between Nov.15-end of Feb., but I can't find the closure dates listed anywhere in the hunting guide. The dates are listed in the Proclamation, but not in the guide. That's another mistake we need to fix.)

I know this stuff can get to be a confusing mess. If in doubt, call the manager of the specific WMA. I assure you, the intention in Region I is to allow coyote hunting just like the open county hunts, on as many WMAs as possible, and if a Region I WMA lists small game as "open with statewide seasons and bag limits," we mean it. Unless there is a SPECIFICALLY LISTED EXCEPTION. I will not speak for the other Regions.

scn

varminthunter123 said:
Actually, if you check the specs I believe it states that you can hunt with which ever weapon is legal for an open season. That being the case, crow season is open on Fri, Sat and Sun each week and the specs states that a legal firearm for use can be either a rimfire, shotgun or centerfire rifle.

Called Jackson office and they confirmed that on these days of the week you can use a centerfire for coyotes.

Crow season is not open each week. It opens on June 1 and closes on Feb. 28. It is open on Fri./Sat./Sun. of those weeks.

Smoke

Straight from the hunting guide.
On WMAs open with statewide seasons, the
season dates, bag limits, weapon types, and ammunition
types that pertain to the county where
the WMA is located apply to that WMA except
special regulations listed specifically for those
WMAs still apply.
Coyote season is year round, so if the wma is open with the statewide season and there arent any exceptions, centerfires are legal

scn

Smoke said:
Straight from the hunting guide.
On WMAs open with statewide seasons, the
season dates, bag limits, weapon types, and ammunition
types that pertain to the county where
the WMA is located apply to that WMA except
special regulations listed specifically for those
WMAs still apply.
Coyote season is year round, so if the wma is open with the statewide season and there arent any exceptions, centerfires are legal

Here is an exception: (8)During an archery only or muzzleloader/archery only deer, bear or elk season, furbearers may not be taken with rifles and handguns using centerfire ammunition. During the gun/muzzleloader/archery seasons, furbearers may be taken by legal big game hunters licensed for the weapon they are using.

It is found on page 15 of the Hunting Guide under Miscellaneous.

This regulation from the Manner and Means Proclamation 12-05 applies to both private and WMA lands. The bottom line is that from Sept. 22-Nov. 16 it is illegal to use centerfire weapons to take any furbearer. Starting on Nov. 17-Jan. 6, and then on Jan. 12-13, centerfire weapons may be used by legal big game hunters. Legal big game hunters require meeting the applicable license and blaze orange requirements. The only legal big game hunters on the Jan. 12-13 dates are juveniles.

On Jan. 14 it will open back up to the use of centerfire weapons unless on a WMA or Refuge with restrictions.

driver

Is this something new with using a center fire for crows? I never saw that before. I sold my Bushmaster M4 because I never got to use it for coyotes. Oh well I have been wanting an excuse to buy a Colt M4. I just got my reason. Thanks.

Latest posts