Winter Trout Stocking

David

Anyone ever go and fish where they are stocking trout for winter. See they have posted the dates and locations on the TWRA website. Do they usually close it down when they are stocking or can you go fish it that day?

Never really trout fished so forgive me if a stupid question. Seemed like something to do for a weekend to get a break from the deer woods.

Thanks,
David

htnseymour

They stock trout all year round. Rules are generally you can't fish on stock day at all. Some places you can't fish the day after stock day. During winter, depending on location, season ends November 30 and goes into catch and release only. Some places you can keep them all year. Check the regulations on where you are going before ever taking a stringer with you to the water or any kind of bait. Where are you fishing? I have fished almost all the trout water in East Tn.

B.D.

Htnseymour, the rules in East TN where they stock year-round are different.

I am pretty sure David is talking about the "winter trout" program in Middle TN. Those places are definitely NOT stocked all year round, since the streams get too warm for trout in the summer.

David, to answer your question:

For every place on the list below, you can fish on the stocking day. They don't close it down:

http://www.tn.gov/twra/fish/StreamRiver ... trout.html

In my experience the best fishing is usually a day or two after the stocking though, once the trout have a little time to get acclimated to the new water.

A 1/8 oz. rooster tail spinner, or corn or powerbait fished on the bottom, will usually catch you all the fish you want.

bd

catman529

They're stocking the harpeth in a few days and I'll be down there a couple days later after the first rush of fishermen and catch my limit on trout magnets and/or corn....

Trapper John

It's lots of fun. I've never been on the actual day of stocking, but I've gone a few days afterwards. One day below Priest dam I had trout hitting floating Power Bait for a while. Then they would only hit red worms. Then they liked Rooster Tails. Then they went back to liking the topwater. All within 3 or so hours.

Great way to spend a day.

JAJ

What's the best way to get to the area of the harpeth that is stocked? The only place that I have been trout fishing in middle tn is the Caney Fork but the Harpeth looks to be a closer drive

rbreedi1

One day I was fishing an area that had been stocked a month or so prior and the stocking truck showed up. The guy walked down the bank with a big net full of trout and threw them out in the water in front of me and said "here.. maybe this will help." lol

bigtex

rbreedi1 said:
One day I was fishing an area that had been stocked a month or so prior and the stocking truck showed up. The guy walked down the bank with a big net full of trout and threw them out in the water in front of me and said "here.. maybe this will help." lol

LOL!! I've never been that lucky. Well..........did it help?

catman529

I stopped by the Harpeth on Lewisburg Pike (at the lowhead dam) on the way home from hunting today. I fished for about an hour and came home with 5 trout (one or two got away). Lots of people but lots of fish too. They were hitting corn and powerbait the most and I caught most of mine on corn and one or two on a trout magnet.

I plan to go back on monday with fewer people and catch some more. It's not like "real" fishing but it's a lot of fun catching those grain fed hatchery fish.

catman529

I don't know what type of powerbait, it was a rainbow colored pasty dough type bait that came in a tiny jar. I've had luck with the round ball shaped powerbait that is linked together like sausage links. Bright colors work very well.

A trout magnet is an awesome little bait for trout and panfish. I often refer to it as "skunk insurance" as I can use it to catch a bluegill when fishing is slow and avoid being skunked. It's ultra light, 1/64 oz jig head, and I like to jig it cross stream or downstream or in eddies for the trout or anywhere you can find bream. Light 3" jigs of the rod tip is all you need with a very slow retrieve. But you can fish it different ways such as under a float or just drifting it. Their web site is troutmagnet.com and they sell thru walmart, academy, some tackle stores. Worth the money if you ask me. I keep them with me now whether trout fishing or not. Sometimes I even use them in tiny creeks to catch shiners.

This pic is a chartreuse trout magnet with the smallest fish I ever caught on a hook (bluegill fry snagged accidentally). It looks big in the pic but is a tiny jig barely 1 inch long.

P1010309.jpg

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
rbreedi1 said:

LOL that's funny. :D

catman529

7mm08 said:
Too bad TWRA doesn't grow deer from egg to 10pt. buck and then release the date and location of release.....what a sport that would be!
ha these trout aren't the 10 pt buck of rainbow trout, they're just 12 inch stockers that make a fun afternoon. caught my limit today on corn

7mm08

catman529 said:
7mm08 said:
Too bad TWRA doesn't grow deer from egg to 10pt. buck and then release the date and location of release.....what a sport that would be!
ha these trout aren't the 10 pt buck of rainbow trout, they're just 12 inch stockers that make a fun afternoon. caught my limit today on corn

Understand that, but once they are all fished out they are gone, until the truck rolls around again. Why announce it at all? Doesn't that make us like the deer in a field waiting for the feeder to go off?

7mm08

Well, you/TWRA might want to rethink this trout stamp=food stamp practice when this happens:

We could be with out 64% of the trout stocked in our state. Yes you read that correctly, 64%. There would be no brown trout at all to stock. If you like to trout fish you should be concerned. Please continue reading.

Proposed federal budgets would eliminate funding for much of what these hatcheries provide to Tennesseans. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has not shared any plans with the State that would demonstrate a willingness to continue support of these facilities under new budgets constraints. It seems that they are willing to let them shut down, despite mitigation responsibilities to Tennessee.

The USFWS is choosing to rely on reimbursements from the US Army Corps of Engineers and TVA for mitigation. These are the appropriate mitigating agencies, but they are not fully funding their mitigation responsibilities. The USACE has offered to pay about 80% of their share, but TVA has not made such an agreement. Without a reimbursement from TVA the Dale Hollow National Fish Hatchery would have to reduce its production by 60%. That would mean no trout would be raised for TVA tailwaters such as the Clinch, the South Holston,Watauga, Hiwassee, Elk, etc.

The bottom line is that if these facilities are shut down, then recreational opportunities and the revenues they generated throughout the state will be severely reduced.

Please contact your US representatives and the Department of the Interior to let them know what you think of this action. Request that the USFWS support recreational fisheries, and request that the federal budget continue to fund mitigation hatcheries until the USACE and TVA fully reimburse Tennesseans for their mitigation responsibilities.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional information about these facilities.....
Dale Hollow National Fish Hatchery is operated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. It primarily produces trout for distribution into tailwater and reservoir trout fisheries in Tennessee. These stockings are regarded as mitigation responsibilities for impoundments managed by US Army Corps of Engineers and the Tennessee Valley Authority.

Dale Hollow NFH stocks trout at our most valuable trout fisheries such as Caney Fork, Hiwassee, Clinch, South Holston and Watauga rivers. Several large lakes such as Dale Hollow, South Holston, and Watauga reservoirs rely on Dale Hollow NFH production. These large, popular fisheries require 40- 100 thousand trout a year to maintain quality fisheries.

Dale Hollow NFH also supplies approximately 150,000 trout to TWRA�s Tellico Trout Hatchery. These trout are stocked into Tellico River and Citico Creek in the Cherokee National Forest throughout the year.

In 2010 Dale Hollow NFH stocked 1.3 million trout, or 289,000 pounds of trout, into Tennessee waters. That is 64 % of all trout stocked in Tennessee, and 51 % by weight.

Dale Hollow NHF is the sole source for brown trout and lake trout in Tennessee. TWRA hatcheries do not have the required water quality or space to handle these species.

The operational budget of Dale Hollow NFH is $797,000. Dale Hollow NFH is approximately three times the size of TWRA�s largest trout hatchery, which is Buffalo Springs Trout Hatchery.

The total economic output of DHNFH was estimated to be $75.1 million in 2010. That is $94 of benefit per dollar spent on the facility.

As part of their partnership with TWRA, Dale Hollow NFH also raises trout for TWRA at a low rate of $100,000 for 100,000 pounds of trout. This is a very low cost and a huge benefit to TWRA�s trout program. These trout can be stock anywhere in Tennessee and many of them are used for our winter trout program in middle Tennessee.
Erwin National Fish Hatchery plays a less visible but critical role in trout production in Tennessee and nationally. The loss of Erwin NHF would jeopardize production at Dale Hollow NFH, and add costs for our TWRA hatcheries. Erwin NFH raises trout to adult stage and harvests eggs for distribution throughout the National Fish Hatchery System, and provides eggs to two of our state hatcheries at no cost to the State.

SES

Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery in Clinton supplies the Clinch with 400,000 trout fingerlings per year. Why in the heck would they be trucking fingerlings to Watauga and the South Holston from Dale Hollow? Seems that they would use Eagle Bend and Buffalo.

Latest posts