Winchester Long Beard Shells

paboom

I'm looking for some first hand experience with the Winchester Long Beard shells. A real quick background on my scenario. I bought a Remington 870 Turkey Special 20 years ago. I patterned a bunch of shells and found the one that shot best (Federal Copper plated lead in #6s) and bought about 100 rounds of them. I still have some left.

However, a buddy of mine switched to the Long Beards this year and swears they are the best thing since sliced bread. He's killed two gobblers with them and one at 62 yards. I'm curious if you all feel they're worth the hype or if they'll give that much more advantage over copper plated lead. I have to buy more shells eventually but I'm wondering if I should go ahead and switch now.

Thanks in advance!

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I use them early in the season with open woods for a cleaner kill ou to 40 yards. They do pattern quite well. 62 yards is too far to shoot IMO.

paboom

poorhunter":1fpswy08 said:
I use them early in the season with open woods for a cleaner kill ou to 40 yards. They do pattern quite well. 62 yards is too far to shoot IMO.

I'm certainly not going to defend the long shot.

You indicate you switch as the leaves come in, what do you switch to and why?

woodsman04

I like them in the 12 and 20. 62 yards is ridiculous and I don't see that happening. Not because of pattern density either, but because of pellet energy.
50 is my maximum with the 12, and probably 35-40 yards max with the 20. And by max I mean max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboom

Ok, so let me rephrase my question. I only hunt the mountains so normal shots are in the 30 yard range.

Do you see an advantage of switching from copper plated lead to the new loads such as the Long Beards?

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
paboom":ocyz23a4 said:
poorhunter":ocyz23a4 said:

I'm certainly not going to defend the long shot.

You indicate you switch as the leaves come in, what do you switch to and why?

I switch to regular Winchester Supreme (Double X now I think). The pattern opens up a little quicker, and since when the leaves come out I rarely have more than a 25-30 yard shot.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
paboom":en3aq9h5 said:
Ok, so let me rephrase my question. I only hunt the mountains so normal shots are in the 30 yard range.

Do you see an advantage of switching from copper plated lead to the new loads such as the Long Beards?

I wouldn't switch in that case. The longBeards definitely have a tighter pattern, and one can miss at 20 yardslike I did last year!

Boll Weevil

Personally I wouldn't change if all your shots are 30 yards or less; the LB pattern may actually be to your detriment because they're so tight. If you currently have a good pattern with the Federals at those ranges, maybe consider sticking with them.

I switched over to LBs a couple of years ago in part because I shoot a O/U with 2 different chokes constrictions for both close and longer shots. The vast majority of birds are with my "close" barrel...only occasionally do I choose my "long" barrel.

Gravey

If all shots are 30 yards or less no need to change IMO. I shoot an 870 super mag and shoot 3 1/2" #5 longbeards and know I can kill one at 50 yards. Have no plans to but know what my setup will do. I also have a kicks gobbling thunder .665 choke in it.

Setterman

I think their trash and promote a style of hunting that's slobbish. Their ad campaign promoting extra long shots was absolutely ridiculous.

Set up better and use the terrain, guess what you don't have to take 60 yard shots. And if that's where he hangs up, chalk it up to his victory on that day.

I shoot Double X #5 and I assure you it wears them out at reasonable distances

dgolden

I love them. I've tried all kinds of shells in my mossberg 535. They pattern the best for my gun. I made the switch for that reason and they are half the price of the shells I had been using.

Latest posts