Wild hogs

Speedwell-Hunter

was wondering if someone could provide a link to a frequently updated map of the wild hog population in TN... specifically East TN

I've seen these in the past (showing general areas of the state that contain sightings).

Thanks
(Copied from a 2014 post from Muzzy76)

Attachments

• 1699303273051.gif
    1699303273051.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 51

PillsburyDoughboy

I can't provide a link, but can provide hundreds of trail cam pictures showing the culprits of my ongoing battle. By the way, I am losing.
If only stricter penalties were enforced on relocating of pigs from out of state. Perhaps a bounty put on them and legal hunting of them instead of incidental killing of pigs we would see more of a reduction on them. Just food for thought.

Crappieaddict

If only stricter penalties were enforced on relocating of pigs from out of state. Perhaps a bounty put on them and legal hunting of them instead of incidental killing of pigs we would see more of a reduction on them. Just food for thought.
After dealing with this for the past few months, I'm convinced that hunting is not a valid means of eradication. Yes, they should be allowed to be taken year around, no limit, no closed season. However, I have a permit from TWRA that allows baiting (even during big game season), trapping, and hunting at night. I've killed a few, but it's basically one shot, one hog, and the rest scatter. Furthermore, they have returned in larger numbers, and I have got piglets on camera. They only come out at night, plus they are unpredictable in arrIval time, and don't appear every night. Tough to eliminate under those situations. I've moved into the next phase now and handed the problem over to the USDA. Time will tell….

Omega

After dealing with this for the past few months, I'm convinced that hunting is not a valid means of eradication. Yes, they should be allowed to be taken year around, no limit, no closed season. However, I have a permit from TWRA that allows baiting (even during big game season), trapping, and hunting at night. I've killed a few, but it's basically one shot, one hog, and the rest scatter. Furthermore, they have returned in larger numbers, and I have got piglets on camera. They only come out at night, plus they are unpredictable in arrIval time, and don't appear every night. Tough to eliminate under those situations. I've moved into the next phase now and handed the problem over to the USDA. Time will tell….
I don't know, allow all that for all hunters and that should make more of a dent than just individual land owners.

Crappieaddict

Trapping has been the most affective but they learn quickly and no method is 100%.. twra is caught in a no win situation imo. permits vs none,
They are very smart. In my belief, you are absolutely correct. I contacted TWRA to have my bases covered. My property borders Blackberry Farms and you can bet that a middle of the night shot will be reported.

Planking

We had them as well and hunting them seems to be an ineffective method for the reasons you mentioned. Trapping produced much greater numbers for us. Our biggest problem is that there is road frontage and a large number of thermal road hunters show up for them and are a million times worse than hogs. The USDA is who i will call if they ever show up again. Maybe with both our traps going we can better our chances.

PillsburyDoughboy

Its probably not. Trapping in large numbers IS a form of eradication. So is Helicopter Hunting.

But to scoff at hunters hunting them is ridicoulous because you do not want to punish people for bringiing them into the state for sport hunting. Make the fines and jail time ridicoulous to the point no one would risk it over a dang pig and there would be no need to punish the hunters.

Crappieaddict

Its probably not. Trapping in large numbers IS a form of eradication. So is Helicopter Hunting.

But to scoff at hunters hunting them is ridicoulous because you do not want to punish people for bringiing them into the state for sport hunting. Make the fines and jail time ridicoulous to the point no one would risk it over a dang pig and there would be no need to punish the hunters.
Not sure if you're agreeing, disagreeing, or making a different point.

Joe2Kool

Ten'ish years ago, it was open season on pigs year-round. TWRA stopped that because people were relocating them so they could hunt them, which only made the problem worse.

I don't know what the answer is, but as much time as I spend in a stand on the North Cumberland, and as many pigs as there are, I sure don't see many. Yep. Pigs are smart, and their sense of smell is much better than dogs and deer from what I understand.

jlanecr500

We had a lease in Putnam County. I built a cage trap with locking guillotine door. Once we got them coming to the trap with stanky bait, we trapped 2 to 5 per night. They were pretty pissed so we had to dispatch them before removing from the trap. We built a skinning station about 1/8 mile from the trap. Trapped a bunch from end of deer season til late Feb.

Atchman2

Same thing for me. The USDA put a trap on our property and killed a BUNCH of them! Only thing I see now are lone boars. I have the same permit and I am lucky to get one hog per year. Can't be there all of the time

Attachments

• IMAG4645.JPG
    IMAG4645.JPG
    495.2 KB · Views: 14

Chickenrig

Ten'ish years ago, it was open season on pigs year-round. TWRA stopped that because people were relocating them so they could hunt them, which only made the problem worse.

I don't know what the answer is, but as much time as I spend in a stand on the North Cumberland, and as many pigs as there are, I sure don't see many. Yep. Pigs are smart, and their sense of smell is much better than dogs and deer from what I understand.
Ya'll got em now boys
I don't care what you do to try to controll em
They will be there forever and a day
I trap for farmers here who gave up fields to pigs and have cleared wooded lots to start again in areas they are not in yet . They have tried to disc the fields flat again but that just brings the nut grass up and now you have two problems . These pig sounders are gypsy like are tough to get in front of . Shooting them only scatters em and trapping does a decent job but like they say round here ………. If you don't have em you will!!!
Good luck ya'll

LY

Have y'all seen the videos of the Prig Brig. Most effective way to trap if you have a couple thousand dollars laying around.

As for shooting, ear hole the big mamma with a suppressed .22 and wait. You can usually get several more before they stop coming back.

Crappieaddict

Ya'll got em now boys
I don't care what you do to try to controll em
They will be there forever and a day
I trap for farmers here who gave up fields to pigs and have cleared wooded lots to start again in areas they are not in yet . They have tried to disc the fields flat again but that just brings the nut grass up and now you have two problems . These pig sounders are gypsy like are tough to get in front of . Shooting them only scatters em and trapping does a decent job but like they say round here ………. If you don't have em you will!!!
Good luck ya'll
You are correct. They may leave for a while, but they will return.

Latest posts