Wild Hog?

Omega

So drove up to my hunting area to do a little maintenance, on the way in I seen what appeared to be a dead hog off Hwy 149 past Palmyra. It was a black and white one, which may have just been an escapee, but have seen B/W wild hogs in the past, matter of fact that was the color of my first kill. I know hogs have been in and around Montgomery County for years, but had not seen any in that general area. While I don't want the destruction that goes with them, I do want to get one now and then. Anyone seen any new (or old) sounders in the river area around Palmyra or Cumberland City?

chris1976

So drove up to my hunting area to do a little maintenance, on the way in I seen what appeared to be a dead hog off Hwy 149 past Palmyra. It was a black and white one, which may have just been an escapee, but have seen B/W wild hogs in the past, matter of fact that was the color of my first kill. I know hogs have been in and around Montgomery County for years, but had not seen any in that general area. While I don't want the destruction that goes with them, I do want to get one now and then. Anyone seen any new (or old) sounders in the river area around Palmyra or Cumberland City?
I live and hunt Cumberland city. I have never seen any evidence of hogs around here. Straight across the river in Indian Mound they kill them frequently and have been for a while. My wife mentioned the palmyra Facebook group chat was talking about wild hog sightings.

Omega

I live and hunt Cumberland city. I have never seen any evidence of hogs around here. Straight across the river in Indian Mound they kill them frequently and have been for a while. My wife mentioned the palmyra Facebook group chat was talking about wild hog sightings.
I had heard there were some across the river, and figured it was just a matter of time before they found their way across. This roadkill was just past the yellow creek on the left as you head toward Palmyra. I know some do swim, so the Cumberland shouldn't be to hard to navigate across, but thought there wouldn't be too much pressure to drive them over.

Last edited:

Terrier

It's bad enough with the armadillos, possums, skunks and turkeys digging up the yard and scraping away the mulch off everything. Hog damage is a LOT worse. I'd have to quick taking time to garden, and just spend all my time in a blind.

Chief44

A wild hog in that area is very possible. I am on a buddies hog permit and his place is only about 2 miles west of Cumberland City and on the south side of river. He has had hog issues there for at least 7-8 years up until a couple years ago when they just vanished. We killed a bunch of hogs there but no way we killed them all. Last fall, another buddy sent me pics of what looks like hog tracks on the creek bank at Grices creek between the river and RR tracks. I also talked to a guy this year who was squirrel hunting Grices creek and claimed he saw a group of hogs between the boat ramp and river.

Attachments

• 43A06E98-A0D4-44C6-A4EE-5A81968434F9.jpeg
    43A06E98-A0D4-44C6-A4EE-5A81968434F9.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 59
  • A1B41519-75A5-4118-9A3C-99ECB9668145.jpeg
    A1B41519-75A5-4118-9A3C-99ECB9668145.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 57

Latest posts