Who's going this morning?

Carlos

I'm almost ready to head out, got an early start this morning. On the radar, it looked as if the rain was moving out, and it's just started coming down heavy again.
I'm about to go anyways, I can always sit in the truck until it slacks up a little.

Anybody else heading out after 'em this morning?

chrmayo

Me!

8th day I've hunted in TN so far. Winter subflocks have finally broken up past 2 days and a few hens are getting bred, so gobbling activity had really picked up.

Birds are a little over a week behind on my farms.
They are behind where I hunt as well. They will strut and gobble at everything you throw but they aren't leaving hens another week or so they should be ready.

Carlos

There was one gobbling from 600- 715. He wouldn't come any closer. I bet he gobbled 40x between 7 and 715 when it was thundering.
Then a Hen started calling back to him, before long they both went quiet. (They were within 100 yards of me.)

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Took a youth out on his property and didn't hear a single gobble. Going to head to the back of my place just to check and see if I hear anything in a minut.

Noticed the same thing as mega, things are a week or more behind than usual it seems. Mayapples are just popping up here.

Carlos

Yesterday there was a bird gobbling very well. He started around 6am and gobbled occasionally until about 720. From 6-7 he only went off about every 10 minutes. Then around 7, a Hen answered him back. That's when she yelped constantly for 20 minutes, and he gobbled back at her more then 30x.
This one's roosting in the back of a clover plot. There's a bluff-line that overlooks a creek, and it's very thick along where he's roosting. (A person would make a ton of noise just trying to get thru there.)
So I think he may have been in the tree until he gobbled up the Hen yesterday. He doesn't come towards the field when he flies down, but slips out the back way, where it's almost unapproachable. Once the Hen made her way to him yesterday, they both went silent.

Any suggestions on how to get on this one? (I've just been hoping that one morning he comes over this direction.) This will make my 3rd day going after this particular rooster.

I'm going to go after him once more this morning, before moving on. Then I'll label him, officially-certified, un-killable. 😀

I'm guessing he's an old granddaddy Gobbler that's been messed with quite a bit.
It's just hard to leave an area where a bird is gobbling like that, pretty much knocking the treetops out, being so vocal.

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!

PalsPal

That's a tough one. Honestly, I might try to find another one.

But, I like the challenge of a season wrecker so I'd probably try again also.

With those, I'd probably only soft cluck a couple of times every 15-20 minutes and some leaf scratching.

Good luck.

Carlos

So there was a Jake that came by at 30 yards around 730 this morning. Then at 930, a Hen came by, also about 30 yards away.
Just waiting on a Gobbler, so far its been quiet. Plenty of wind today but at least it's sunny.

Latest posts