Who remembers this device?

bowhunter163

The first "trail camera " . It let you know what time something tripped the string right ? A gentleman I met when I first started hunting had one and told me how they used to work .

callemquacktn

No that would attach to your bow where the stabilizer attaches. The medal clip would attach to the arrow. The idea was that when you shot a deer the line would peel out and stay with the deer. It was supposed to help you track a deer.

163, I also remember the thing your talking about.

fairchaser

I had one on my old Bear whitetail hunter. I shot at a buck once and missed. After I got over the fact I had missed, I looked down to see a pile of string laying on the ground. I guess I was always a sucker for new gadgets.

fairchaser

What's funny is this is a model 2500. Sooo, did the first 2499 prototypes fail? I can hear this guy at a party when someone asks "how did you make yore first million. Well have you ever heard of a string tracker?"

bowhunter163

I have heard about these as well , although this is the first one I've ever seen . I wonder if this has ever worked for anyone ?
I wasn't even thinking about that when I responded . I seen game tracker and immediately thought about that gentleman .

I have heard many a stories about these , although this is the first time I've ever saw one . That's awesome .

bguy

they were made back in the 80s.... i remember watching alan altizer in a video one time and he shot a deer with one..the string ran out of that thing like crazy until the deer died... no blood trailing just get down and follow the string to the deer... i dont think they worked to good...it was like dental floss in a can...lol

LanceS4803

I gave this one a try in the mid 1980s, hunting on Ft Campbell.
I think the theory was that since you didn't get complete pass through back then, you needed a better way to recover hit deer.
I only used it once. Took a shot at a doe that came in from behind me, and shot over by a few inches. I can still remember that the arrow didn't seem to startle her as much as that string settling on her back!

I found this in an old archery box this weekend. I didn't think the string could peel out fast enough to keep up with modern bow speed, but pressfit got it working on a crossbow.

bowhunter163

Urban_Hunter said:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eastman-Outdoors-String-Tracker-2500/19206265

They made it a long time. I'm sure it's still available in some old shops. It has a couple followers on AT, one guy says his club requires it and they have unmatched recovery rates.
Can you imagine getting a birds nest in that thing when the deer is mid death run ? With a wrist sling wrapped around your hand ? I can see myself being drug through the woods . That would be the deers final ultimate payback .

Surely it would break with alot of tension like that , but it would make for a funny story .

Latest posts