Who goes there

PillsburyDoughboy

Ok so what critter made this hole? It's a little bigger than a softball and appears to be kept clean and tidy around it all the time. It's pretty darn deep too like a tunnel.

I'm not finding and tracks or evidence of bones or other animals that could have fallen victim anywhere in the area.

PillsburyDoughboy

Thanks guys. I have all of the above on my property, I have been watching the hole hoping I could find some hair or something that would lead me thing it was a shrunk or fox but no such luck. I am leaning towards armadillo or possum as I have seen both within a couple of hundred yards of the general area of the hole.

treefarmer

I had two yellowjacket ground nests in a meadow that I was going to spray the next weekend. When I returned I had holes like your photos and the honeycombs were out on the ground.

stik

treefarmer":38wti9g0 said:
I had two yellowjacket ground nests in a meadow that I was going to spray the next weekend. When I returned I had holes like your photos and the honeycombs were out on the ground.

a skunk's handiwork and exactly why they are welcome around here

Winchester

stik":3h16r8gt said:
treefarmer":3h16r8gt said:

Or a Fox, or even a Bear? I have watched both dig yellow jackets nest up and eat them. I have a cool video somewhere of a sow and 3 cubs digging one up at Cades cove and eating it! Ive also saw a Fox dig one up a couple times, they will actually get the bees all stirred up and turn around with their big fluffy tail in the maylee for a min attracting many of the bees to it, then turn back around and go right to work on the combs!

stik

Winchester":3266fiqy said:
stik":3266fiqy said:
treefarmer":3266fiqy said:

Or a Fox, or even a Bear? I have watched both dig yellow jackets nest up and eat them. I have a cool video somewhere of a sow and 3 cubs digging one up at Cades cove and eating it! Ive also saw a Fox dig one up a couple times, they will actually get the bees all stirred up and turn around with their big fluffy tail in the maylee for a min attracting many of the bees to it, then turn back around and go right to work on the combs!

a bear will generally eat comb and all and i am guessing there are no bears there. i watched a skunk dig one up in cades cove campground and saw 2 gray foxes dig one up in roane county. but still most likely a skunk

Os2 Outdoors

Opossum or Armadillo . Caught tons as a kid with leg hold traps in holes identical.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Latest posts