Whitetail slam?

Hollar Hunter

Just curious about everyone's opinion on this new whitetail slam their publicizing on the 2012 hunting shows. Im not a fan for MOST hunting shows but being the junky I am I still watch them even if I disagree with their car salesman like tactics and BS of hunting shows today.It's still Better than watching this dating show or dancing with that or living with them crap on tv. They're saying theirs 8 sub groups of whitetails and harvesting 4 of the 8 is the slam? Seems to me it would be harvesting one of each 8 sub groups and meeting a certain age/size for each sub species? There's 4 turkeys for the turkey slam and they don't require you to kill only 2 of the 4?

catman529

probably a bunch of BS but sounds interesting. I wonder what all 8 sub groups are? I bet one of them is the "one buck limit whitetail" that grows the biggest. :grin:

Diehard Hunter

First, since there are 16 sub species of white tailed deer, I think their count is a bit off?

Second, since white tailed deer have been moved and transplanted so much, unless you are in a special situation, you do not know what subspecies you are hunting, or what mix of subspecies.

For example, I can think of three different subspecies used to restore the herd in Tennessee, and I am probably missing one or two.

Unless they are hunting special places where there have never been reintroductions, chances are they are just hunting another white tail.

BSK

Poser said:
Sounds like something a hunting show would contrive.

Yup. Another stupid idea to fuel the chest-thumping and "look at me" attitude that is becoming so prevalent in hunting these days.

Dodge Man

catman529 said:
probably a bunch of BS but sounds interesting. I wonder what all 8 sub groups are? I bet one of them is the "one buck limit whitetail" that grows the biggest. :grin:

Dakota Whitetail
Desert Whitetail [Coues]
Gulf Coast Whitetail
Northern Woodlands Whitetail
Northwestern Whitetail
Seminole Whitetail
South Central Plains Whitetail
Southeastern Whitetail

http://www.whitetailslam.com/slam-bucks

Pursuit Hunter

Just another way for someone to make a $buck off of hunting. $25 per deer to enter them into the records. I hate that hunting and fishing have become competitive sports. Whatever happened to just doing it because you enjoy it.

Bone Collector

I had heard about this through shows years ago. then they were saying that it was Desert Whitetail [Coues]
Mule Deer
Whitetail
Blacktail

that makes sense. there are several types of whitetail deer as you can see from Dodge Man's post, but most could not tell the differnece between most of them.

Hollar Hunter

I Agree that's it's just a bunch of hype to sell a show or pound your chest like BSK said but with all the other so called slams I was just curious on everyone's else opinions...Not something I would invest in but would love to hunt as many different places as I can before my times up...

lpo1981

I agree a bunch of hype and who in this day and age can afford to make those trips? Certainly not me. I do watch the show occasionly when it comes on and have seen it.