Which budget muzzleloader?

Orion6

I'm trying to get back in the game after a 5-year absence. I sold a lot of my hunting gear (long, boring story) and am slowly replacing it.

Of the budget ML offerings like the CVA Wolf, TC Impact, and Traditions Buckstalker, what do you like and why?

My self-imposed budget is about $250, and these are the models in that range.

I'm a CVA guy going way back, but I find the Optimas I had were a bit heavy for my taste. I know the Wolf is probably a tad lighter. I am leaning towards the Impact because it's made in the USA, and the design of the stock seems more "traditional" in nature. I know nothing about the Buckstalker.

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fairchaser

With the smokeless craze going on, I bet you can find a higher quality ML for your price. I sold a TC Omega last year for about that price with a laminate stock and it was a great gun. Good luck!

GMB54

Just realize neither the Impact or Buckstaker are available in stainless. Both are either blued or coated. You can get a Wolf or Optima in SS and the new Optima V2 is pretty lightweight. Its claimed to be 6.65lbs. The Wolf is 6.25lbs. The Impact is 6.95lbs and it might have issues shooting conicals. The CVAs shoot conicals fine but TCs can be problematic occasionally.

Frankly, nothing Traditions offers impresses me at all.

CHRIS WILSON

Of the ones you listed, I'd lean towards the cva wolf. A good friend had an impact for a bit and neither of us were really impressed with it. He ended up giving it to his son and he now shoots a cva wolf. The trigger feels so much better and it's quite the shooter. I have the v2 optima and it's a good bit lighter than the older models. A stainless model is just a touch above your $250 budget but they are great rifles.

Carlos

I have a 50 cal CVA Staghorn Magnum with scope, that I'd sell for $175. It's setup for 209 primers, has a 26" barrel, and has a great trigger.

I'm in Crossville, let me know if you're interested.
4d61a1a94c00e5312ecd77fd903f0106.jpg
48af1ce45e164a8b28643f66b6a6b4d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Orion6

CHRIS WILSON":4ysfllmc said:
Of the ones you listed, I'd lean towards the cva wolf. A good friend had an impact for a bit and neither of us were really impressed with it. He ended up giving it to his son and he now shoots a cva wolf. The trigger feels so much better and it's quite the shooter. I have the v2 optima and it's a good bit lighter than the older models. A stainless model is just a touch above your $250 budget but they are great rifles.

I'm going stainless for sure. Been there done that.

swd

I got the Optima V2 with nitride and an inexpensive scope for about $100 over your budget. Pretty sure there are options in the Wolf lineup that meet your criteria. I almost picked up the Wolf until I found this deal on the Optima.

CHRIS WILSON

Orion6":2dqj6fzw said:
CHRIS WILSON":2dqj6fzw said:

I'm going stainless for sure. Been there done that.

My V2 optima rifle is actually blued with black synthetic. Picked it up on clearance in early 2017 for a steal of a price. I believe that was the last year they made the optima in blued steel. They're all stainless and nitride now. With proper care blued steel rifles do just fine. Just need to be more vigilant about cleaning. Now, my Optima V2 pistol is stainless but I'm still pretty anal about cleaning it.

ROVERBOY

stringtalker":l6zmrczy said:
That's easy, the CVA wolf. Mine will shoot with ones that cost twice as much. Muzzleloader.com had the blued ones for $177
If I ever get another inline that's the one I'm gonna buy.

JCDEERMAN

fairchaser":rvjov86g said:
With the smokeless craze going on, I bet you can find a higher quality ML for your price. I sold a TC Omega last year for about that price with a laminate stock and it was a great gun. Good luck!

The TC Omega is my favorite gun I own. TC muzzleloaders and other rifles are some really good guns.

MUP

ROVERBOY":ee79zj6w said:
stringtalker":ee79zj6w said:
That's easy, the CVA wolf. Mine will shoot with ones that cost twice as much. Muzzleloader.com had the blued ones for $177

Get the SS model. Ive heard from a guy that has , or rather had, the blued model and he said it would rust up at nothing, and was really hard to keep clean from the surface rust. I have 2 CVA SS Wolf models and they are nice little ML's for sure. Compact and maneuverable, and shoot just about anything you stuff down the tube well.

ROVERBOY

MUP":36vmy1bt said:
ROVERBOY":36vmy1bt said:
stringtalker":36vmy1bt said:

Get the SS model. Ive heard from a guy that has , or rather had, the blued model and he said it would rust up at nothing, and was really hard to keep clean from the surface rust. I have 2 CVA SS Wolf models and they are nice little ML's for sure. Compact and maneuverable, and shoot just about anything you stuff down the tube well.
Thanks MUP, that's good to know.

jejeffrries71

Used is often the best bargain. Of course, asking about buying a budget muzzleloader right before the season (Monday the 28th for a bunch of us) is probably not the cheapest time.

Back Home

JCDEERMAN":1mmrdkx6 said:
fairchaser":1mmrdkx6 said:

The TC Omega is my favorite gun I own. TC muzzleloaders and other rifles are some really good guns.

Was looking at this gun as a possible new purchase. Just noticed that Bass Pro and Cabelas don't carry it anymore online. They used to.

whwood21

Took my T/C impact out this weekend to sight-in the new scope. Very very pleased with this rifle considering the small amount I have invested in it. Shooting from a sand bag I was able to get a great four shot grouping at 100 yards.....although there was a flyer on #3 due to my error. This is using 100 grains blackhorn 209, 250 grain T/C shockwave spire tip and CCI 209 magnum primers. Doesn't get much better other than shooter skill! #1 and #2 holes touching at 100 yards impressed me and was very satisfying. #4 was right around an inch above #1 and #2. I am pleased. (Photo uploaded sideways for some reason)

Attachments

• IMG_7542 (1).JPG
    IMG_7542 (1).JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 2,615

whwood21

Oh yea and I never cleaned the barrel. Roughly 15 shots altogether after playing around. Only two wet patches after the range and she was clean. I do break the breech plug loose and re-seat every two shots to prevent it from locking up from powder residue.

Latest posts