Where to get crawfish to eat

tndad

Anybody know where to get them in Nashville or the Jackson area?
Was thinkin about doing a boil while on vacation with the two kids and I- see how they like it.
I know there used to be some "prong" farmers in west tn.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Most of the big Wally super stores have them. Prolly pretty expensive and be sure to inspect closely. IF their tails is not curled, don't buy them. I have mine shippped in from either Black River or Pearl River but I have a connection down there. My uncle just walks out the door on Black River and catches them and his daughter lives on Pearl River.

bowriter

R.I.P.
If the tail is not curled, the crawfish is not fresh and should not be eaten. It is much like buying fish. If they smell fishy, don't buy them. Fresh food out of any water-salt or frsh water-should not have an unfresh smell or appearance. I am one of the few who is very particular about inspecting my fish or shellfish from a grocery.

When we catch our crawfish we immediately purge them twice (soak in saltwater) then rinse them and inspect each one for uncurled tails. That means they are dead and they get discarded. The rest can be eaten or quick frozen. Once frozen you have nothing to worry about. Crawfish should be frozen while still alive and kept frozen until boiling. My crawfish that are shipped to me from LA come in alive and packed in ice.

TennesseeRains

Thanks for the info BW!

My brother has a big boiling once a year - does about 400 pounds worth and has his shipped just as you do.

One year he ordered and had the craws sent to his house several days before he was to have his party...then put them in a big tank with CITY water and no aeration - when I told him I thought the chemicals, etc. would kill them, he just told me to shut up. :mad:

...So, I spent quite awhile fishing out 400 pounds of dead craws from that tank and putting them in his freezer - he didn't have a boiling that year...but I had what turned out to be a 3-year supply of the absolute BEST jug-fishing bait ever! :D

Latest posts