Where to “try” calls?

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I read articles that suggest trying calls out at a store. Ostensibly a place with a designated call counter and "test/display" models.
How far and where would I have to drive to find such a place, from Cleveland/Chattanooga, TN? Has COVID all but rendered it an impossibility?
Hate to have to buy before trying.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I doubt that many places would let you try one now with Covid concerns, but I do understand the need/want to try before you buy. It surprised me at first how different a call can sound vastly different for two different people. And I mean the exact same call, not two of the same brand/type call. The amount of air, back pressure, "voice", and everything else that goes into it are unique to each individual.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I will be surprised if any store lets you try out calls in the store anymore with Covid.
What type of call are you looking for?
Looking for a good timber hunting call that's on the quieter end for ducks no more than 150 yards away. Wanting more "ducky" quacks and an easier feeder chatter at the expense of volume.

Not sure if a wooden single reed (Osage, cocobolo maybe?), acrylic double with a narrower barrel, or even a cutdown with some modification on the barrel length would be the way to go.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Been thinking about a Haydel's RL-99 or its acrylic version AR-19, RNT Daisy Slayer or Lil Richie (even considered a long-barreled variant of the Mondo), or an Echo Timber. Not sure though. It's all just speculation when based on what sounds someone on YouTube is able to produce.

MickThompson

Looking for a good timber hunting call that's on the quieter end for ducks no more than 150 yards away. Wanting more "ducky" quacks and an easier feeder chatter at the expense of volume.

Not sure if a wooden single reed (Osage, cocobolo maybe?), acrylic double with a narrower barrel, or even a cutdown with some modification on the barrel length would be the way to go.
Pick a few custom builders/ call companies and give them a call. They should be able to get you in the ballpark since you can't run a bunch side by side.

Ed B

I'll put a recommendation out there for duck lander hand cut loud timber. I talked to the guys there about what I was looking for and they directed me to that one. I have a RNT daisy cutter and mondo...the DL call takes so much less pressure, really like it.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Seems most sites are very picked over right now this close to the end of season. Might need to wait a bit till callmakers catch up and bring different wood offerings back. Some Bocote models are still out there, some Cocobolo, but almost no Bois d'Arc/Hedge/Osage calls.

Feel like I will eventually want to also get an "open water" call for when timber and sloughs freeze up and hitting up river channels is the only play. But that's going to constitute a smaller percentage of my season, so it's theoretically less of a priority. At the same time, if acrylics are going to go on massive clearance, I might be able to get a better deal than waiting on a timber call. Just not sure what the retail cycle on duck calls looks like, when and if there's a happy medium between re-stocking and offseason clearance.

Dodge Man

You might check out some of these calls if you want something cheap. They have some good prices on wood echo calls and other models.

BlackEagle1

The Lares calls are nice and versatile. That being said my meat call is a black wood/poly echo. It'll do it all and it didn't cost a fortune. I'd rather send my dollar on decoys and ammo.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Of the ones that I've looked up available on wingsupply, I like the sound of the Buck Brush by BCG on some old hunt videos on their YouTube channel (can't tell if they're running polycarbonate or acrylic), and also the Echo Breaker, which seems to have both a good top and low end.

Man, it stinks knowing exactly what I'd ask to try at a call counter during the plague. :(

Latest posts