Where is everyone

catman529

Been dead for a few days here. Pumpkins are putting on fruit. Also got squash bugs now. Hope they aren't too much a problem.

8b423768a2ab7600c7a5cc27cac49d9e.jpg

0d97d661e6c26d9b5c6520e3cc37b092.jpg

f3fea5091c70cf66d04e9c41b491841f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickThompson

Bust out the pesticide yesterday. I lost 3 or 4 squash plants to them because I didn't realize how quickly they can get out of hand. I'm just picking what little trickles in. I get a burst with every rain, but that's been hard to come by the last week or so, and not looking promising going forward.

WTM

image_zpsy2hhupx5.jpeg
[/URL]

been busy. my wife eats them about as fast as i can make them. plus the fall cleanup and getting ready for winter plus all of the projects ive been trying to complete including another 25x30 garage to store our water toys that i was already supposed to have completed.

catman529

smalljawbasser":3igj9hhr said:
My watermelons and cantaloupes are driving us crazy. Pumpkins are turning, but still blooming also. I'll probably plant them earlier next year
I planted mine late June for an October harvest. Watermelons didn't do good at all so I mowed over them.

Wobblyshot1

For the most part the garden has played out. About all that's still producing is the okra. I planted some late tomatoes but they haven't done as well as I would have liked. Recently horn worms slipped in and did quite a bit of damage before I caught em. My hopes for late tomatoes have been seriously put in doubt.
All in all most everything I planted did ok except for the peppers which I think was my worst year ever. Overall I believe this year has been just too hot and too wet.

MickThompson

Too hot and too dry here. The creek has quit flowing for the 4th time this summer, and not once before in my 3 previous summers here. It normally jumps the banks 3-4 times each summer, but has only done that once this year. No rain forecast this week, so the fish may be in trouble. The garden is sitting, waiting on rain to put out another burst of production.

catman529

MickThompson":361hh9o3 said:
Too hot and too dry here. The creek has quit flowing for the 4th time this summer, and not once before in my 3 previous summers here. It normally jumps the banks 3-4 times each summer, but has only done that once this year. No rain forecast this week, so the fish may be in trouble. The garden is sitting, waiting on rain to put out another burst of production.
we've had good rain here for a while but now it's getting dry. Been hand watering the pumpkins every couple days since they are putting on fruit.

Vince

My yield is not as good as last year, but still getting some of these. My butternut squash is doing really well, didn't expect it. I just used the seeds from the squash I bought from Kroger.

Attachments

• 2016.jpg
    2016.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 4,711

Moonman

I'm still getting some beans, jalapeños, bells, okra, and Roma tomatoes. I'm turning most of it under this weekend for fall/winter turnip greens, mustard, and kale.

DaveB

Very impressive, this late summer has to be helping but still, you have a great crop.

Plus, I see you have the correct old-fashioned and still great wood bushel basket.

And your Tomato cages are great. I will definitely copy.

Dodge Man

I do till and hoe around every pretty regular. But I have not run a tiller in weeks. The key I think is to not water anything but your plants. I build up a mound to trap the water around the plants and only put water in there for each plant. We have not had rain in 8-10 weeks so the rest of the ground is so dry nothing will grow.

Dodge Man

I need to take some new pictures lol. I bet some of the taller plants have grown another 14-20 inches taller. I don't know if I put the wrong fertilizer on them or what. They won't quit growing vines but don't really have all that many tomatoes to speak of. They are blooming like crazy and making little tomatoes but there are not many big enough to do much yet. The other rows are newer plants and not nearly as tall but they are producing all of the tomatoes right now that are getting ripe.

WTM

Dodge Man":3ozxt8lz said:
I need to take some new pictures lol. I bet some of the taller plants have grown another 14-20 inches taller. I don't know if I put the wrong fertilizer on them or what. They won't quit growing vines but don't really have all that many tomatoes to speak of. They are blooming like crazy and making little tomatoes but there are not many big enough to do much yet. The other rows are newer plants and not nearly as tall but they are producing all of the tomatoes right now that are getting ripe.

too much nitrogen. tomatoes and beans dont require the amount of nitrogen that say corn requires. tomatoes will put more energy into vine and leaf development than filling out fruit. same for beans. beans pull nitrogen out of the air and stores it in its roots. i usually use 5-10-10 or 10-10-10 sparingly for tomatoes and bean side dressing. dont use something like 36-0-0 urea on them, but can be used on final side dressing of sweet corn.

my step dad grew some tomatoes one time and fed them regular miracle grow once per week and they grew to almost 9ft, lots of blooms and little tomatoes.

Latest posts