Food Plots Wheat?

megalomaniac

Not more than a couple days when it is young. A few more after it is established. May want to look into balansa clover if that plot periodically floods... balansa is supposed to survive short periods of standing water...

I'll let you know... i have one field of 2.5 acres that will pool water. Havent saved up the $$$ to run drains off of it yet, but that is in the future. Ph is 8.0 after I reclaimed it. Drilled wheat with no fertilizer (too wet to run trucks over) last year and it was pitiful. The dry parts grew some anemic wheat, but the wet parts had nothing. I got it drilled with wheat, balansa clover, and ecotill radishes, then gave it a good dose of fertilizer this fall. So far, seems to be germinating well.

I know this field will grow summer crops, as my grandad used to grow silage every summer in it 40 years ago when I was a kid. I may be asking too much of it for a winter crop, however due to how much standing water gets on it from December thru March.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

CATCHDAWG

Well, then going by ^^^that^^^ it's screwed. It was planted two weeks ago and was doing great. Deer absolutely hammering it. It'll be under probably until next weekend. Not a big deal, plenty of time to sow it again when the water goes down.

megalomaniac

Dad took a pic of the field I mentioned in the earlier post... the far end of the field had standing water in it, you can definitely see the lack of wheat coming up there... im just hoping the balansa clover survived the water
8680653f27b2e005de7f1aff230ebd97.jpg

megalomaniac

Most of it actually survived, and even better, the balansa clover is starting to come up as well!
12446722754b0105f462e37dcbf73632.jpg

CATCHDAWG

Most of mine did not, I over seeded it but very little germinated. Pretty unfortunate because it was a masterpiece as far as location and the deer were hammering it. Oh well, it's still a good stand and there is still "some" wheat for now anyway.