what's the best shells

mathews338

i've shot just about everything never shot black cloud what do yall shoot i got one buddy say black cloud is great another says no

big B

Never shot em,been shooting Winchester Xperts their awful dirty though think I'm going back to Kent not much price difference when buying by the case.

WingNut

I've shot black clouds and they are great. DO NOT shoot them through a Pattermaster choke (unless it is the one designed for Black Clouds). I shoot Kents can't beat the price on them. But pattern your gun and see what works best

big B

WingNut's on top of it it may be a matter of what works best in your gun I've kept shooting the Xpert's because I've never had one fail.

pathfindr92

The "best" shells are the ones in your budget that shoot best out of your gun. Like choke, it can also be determined by the tpye of hunting you do. It's something that can only be determined by patterning your gun/choke/shell combos.

If you only hunt timber and shoot all your ducks inside 25yds, the best shell wouldnt be the same as if you pass shoot a lot of divers at 40yds. Do you need 3/5" shells or with 2 3/4" do the trick?

I cannot afford anything but steel, so I dont know about the performance of the heavy non-tox. Well, I did shoot a box of kent tungsten one season and found that it didnt pattern worth crap from my gun. Killed birds better shooting steel. If I could afford it, I would try the pricey stuff.

My go-to load for ducks now is Remington 3" 1 1/4oz 3's or 2's out of a factory Mod choke. Estate 2's have also done well for me. I hunt mostly open water and shoot mainly mallards and divers. Shots can be up close or 45yds out. For geese I prefer the Remington duplex BBBx1 loads (over decoys in fields I'd probably just shoot the 2s), but they're getting hard to find. Great for shooting late season big ducks at long range, too.

This is from 13 seasons with the same gun, so Ive had the opportunity to try a lot of ammo. Maybe you can get some friends to go in on some different ammo with you and then everyone can try some new loads.

Taylor

Kent makes as good a shotshell as you can get for the price, I think.

I like 3-shot anything.

And folks that have not experimented shooting some 2 3/4-inch steel loads might be surprised at how far they can kill 'em...that after the mfgs has been peddling Roman candle 3 1/2-inch loads as the must-have for so long.

Chaneylake

very few people if any can shoot a 10 ga very effectively just because of recoil, I have killed many a duck with 2 3/4 steel 1's or 2's, at 40 plus yards

my favorite duck load is the win 3 in 1 7/8 oz of lead 4's, these are good at 55 plus yards, the same shell in a #2 will give clean kills at 60 yds

JohnnyBond

Chaneylake said:
very few people if any can shoot a 10 ga very effectively just because of recoil, I have killed many a duck with 2 3/4 steel 1's or 2's, at 40 plus yards

my favorite duck load is the win 3 in 1 7/8 oz of lead 4's, these are good at 55 plus yards, the same shell in a #2 will give clean kills at 60 yds

Anything inside the trees should be dead ducks :whistle:

WingNut

SilverHuntr said:
Go with the Kents! But if ya want a mouthful of un-burnt powder go with the Black Clouds!

Please explain. I am curious about this. Never had any problems out of black clouds.

infoman jr.

I shoot 3.5" kents in my SX2 mainly because not a lot of shells will eject from this gun. I've also shot a few boxes of black clouds and didn't find them to be any dirtier than the kents. I've probably had more powder in my eyes from kents than black clouds. I can't honestly say that the black clouds make them any more "dead."

JohnnyBond

Chaneylake said:

mine too

Latest posts