What would you do?

Kritter Gitter

So me and my buddy came down to Oak Ridge last weekend and done some scouting. We found a spot and put our stands on at the base of the tree. We get here this morning and there is some moron sitting in the tree not 4ft away!¡ Would any of you guys do that! Says he seen it, but decides to hunt there any ways!

DC219

That happened to me some years ago on public land on an afternoon bow hunt. (Unfortunate reality of hunting public land) I moved about 100 yards away and sat on the ground. A short while later I shot a huge buck. The guy hunting next to my stand helped me track it, but we never found it. Anyway, to answer your question; there's really nothing you can do. Public land is first come, first serve. I'd never do that to someone though.

Talome13

What would I do? I would tell the guy good luck, move my stuff and never hunt public land again. That's exactly what I would do.

Grnwing

Not much you can do, he got there first. I don't leave anything on public land, not because it may get stolen but because it draws attention from others. I know when I come across a trail camera or stand or trail markers, I start to analyze it and figure out why someone set up in that area. I will move on to my next spot. I also plan that if that stand gets hunted, where would the deer go to avoid it.

GRIT

A lot of less experienced hunters see a stand and think ok this must be a good spot. And they are lazy thinking someone else got the scouting done for them. This is why I never leave anything set up. Always set up and tear down same hunt. Hate that for ya though.
BINGO

Huntaholic

I dont miss hunting public land at all. I remember once years ago turkey hunting at Catoosa with one of my kids. We got on a very vocal bird, (HIGHLY unusual up there) and while I was calling him in some MORON started calling behind me to the bird. I did everything I could to let him know I was there, even got to the point of whistling at him. Not happening, he was coming on regardless. I told my son that as soon as he got nearly within sight I was going to start cackling like a setting hen and run that turkey off. Thats EXACTLY what I did too and when I did it we got up and started walking straight at the gobbler to make damn sure he blew out of the country.

Ski

A lot of less experienced hunters see a stand and think ok this must be a good spot. And they are lazy thinking someone else got the scouting done for them. This is why I never leave anything set up. Always set up and tear down same hunt. Hate that for ya though.

Unfortunately that really happens.....a lot. It's by far and above my biggest gripe about public. My brother actually has an old junk climber he uses to decoy those folks. Hangs at the base of a tree in the wide open so it can't be missed, and sure as the sky is blue somebody sets up within bow shot of it every time.

Last edited:

backyardtndeer

Get there first. While not exactly the same, the corn feeding jacklegs on the property behind us setup a ground blind smack dab on the middle of the trail the deer were using heavy to go on and off our property. The stand I have hunted for nearly 25 years is on a little ridge looking down into the bottom about 75 yards off the property line. They setup less than 10 yards from the property line. I know they heard me shoot a day before they set it up. So on opening morning of rifle I made sure I was in the stand earlier than they would get there. Paid off for me.

Ski

I understand hanging a stand doesn't claim a spot, that public land belongs to all of us. But I also understand common courtesy and consideration. There always were scumbags before but these days people don't even try to hide it. They think it's ok to be a selfish prick. No shame.

Personally I've only ever hunted public by still hunting or from a mobile stand that is carried in & carried out. I'm not a fan of allowing ladder stands or semi-permanent hang-ons, but I respect/recognize that it's a thing and do my best to avoid an area with one present, especially if it's being used. They're hardly ever in a spot I'd want to hunt, anyway.

That said, I was scouting a local spot early this season and was pretty close to a mile from the road when I found some promising sign. It was a transition of thick running along side open woods and a rub line 20yds away & parallel to the transition. I even bumped up some does then a couple bucks 50yds past the doe beds. A little further and right where the bucks had jumped up was where the thicket "J" hooked, and sure enough there was an old broken folding chair with red logging ribbons marking a trail from it out to the old logging road/hiking trail. Somebody seasons before had found a good spot and marked it so that anybody could find it! Probably didn't expect anybody else to be that far back.

Tn Joe

I understand hanging a stand doesn't claim a spot, that public land belongs to all of us. But I also understand common courtesy and consideration. There always were scumbags before but these days people don't even try to hide it. They think it's ok to be a selfish prick.
I get what your saying but how was the guy to know how long that stand had been on the tree or if anyone was going to show up to hunt? Bottom line on public land don't put a stand up and expect someone else not to hunt it or close to it and ALWAYS have a backup plan or two.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I've scouted and found promising spots on public land. I'd usually carry a climbing stand in and out. I've set up next to or near other hanging stands and near ladder stands several times. Sometimes I didn't know the other stand was there when I climbed and other times I did. I usually hunted on weekdays and never saw anyone come to those stands.

Latest posts