What To Expect Mid-May

LenS

I run a ministry in Jamaica and will be out of the country until May 10. Conditions are great for hunting in NW middle TN right now and I hate that I can't be out in the woods. So, what does everyone think it will be like when I get back in a couple of weeks? I've never really hunted much past the first weekend of May, mostly because I was so wore out from chasing them all April. Just curious as to what y'all think it will be like May 10-20.

Bone Collector

It will be more quiet IMO, but it will depend on population density. In my areas of Mid TN birds stared strutting in March and are still at least strutting with hens in May sometimes early June. I am specifically talking about birds I see on my way to and from work or just driving around.

One thing is for sure. if they are alive they have to eat and drink, so they may not gobble and strut, but they will be there and you can shoot one.

deerfever

You never know it varies in areas , they will be there but if they go silent it's not fun at all. I would rather hunt henned up birds that gobble and not come close to killing one as to shoot one that walks by feeding(just me) . Hopefully they will still be gobbling at that point for you.

BPhunter

South Central Colorado today more than a foot of snow! Screw it I'm looking for a house in the Caribbean!

megalomaniac

I suspect it will be hit or miss depending on the mood if the bird at the particular time you encounter him. Some can be just as fired up as they were all season, while others will be call shy and not willing to risk their life coming to a call.

Bgoodman30

Depends on the flock. I have been to farms where there are toms with a harem of 15 hens on the last weekend.

Bgoodman30

Experienced this as well in middle TN the last day of the season a few years ago. Still couldn't pull him off of them.

The only sure way to not have any action is to not go.

Somethings up with that.. Nests failing or reproduction issues I would say...

Shag

You never know it varies in areas , they will be there but if they go silent it's not fun at all. I would rather hunt henned up birds that gobble and not come close to killing one as to shoot one that walks by feeding(just me) . Hopefully they will still be gobbling at that point for you.
Agree 100%! If I can't get on them gobbling, I'll go back home. I refuse to deer hunt them. That's why I gave up on trying to kill one with a stick bow. I don't like blinds. I don't like decoys. I don't like boredom. I'm cool with sitting up a tree in deer season for hours on end. But turkeys are supposed to be fun.

BPhunter

Agree 100%! If I can't get on them gobbling, I'll go back home. I refuse to deer hunt them. That's why I gave up on trying to kill one with a stick bow. I don't like blinds. I don't like decoys. I don't like boredom. I'm cool with sitting up a tree in deer season for hours on end. But turkeys are supposed to be fun.
Shag, all hunting is supposed to be fun and an experience. Sometimes even though they don't call, a little patience in waiting is all that is required. Anyway, have fun friend, hope you get a good gobbler.

Setterman

Shag, all hunting is supposed to be fun and an experience. Sometimes even though they don't call, a little patience in waiting is all that is required. Anyway, have fun friend, hope you get a good gobbler.
I absolutely will not kill a bird that doesn't answer and work my calls.

The absurd myth that birds don't gobble or come to calls in mid May is laughable. Sure the subordinates are likely quiet by then, but the dominant birds are usually vulnerable and some days gobble readily. Imo it all depends on the actions of the previous hunts if you'll have gobbling birds or not. Run around bumping birds and over pressuring henned up birds and you'll be likely greeted by silence. Hunt smart and you'll likely find late season players

Hduke86

I've got two tags in my pocket since my youngest is tagged out. I've been waiting til he was done before and if I go after them and I'll be hitting hard mid May just to see how they react. I've got a small private spot that I never call or mess with until I'm sitting at my tree. I don't go running around chasing on this property and I've got a good bit of public I'm going to chase them on so it should give me a good idea about how they act late in the season. Me personally, I think it's going to be rather easy to get on them IF they're there but we'll see.

Pilchard

Bumping this one up. I'm going to give it a go this weekend since my wife and son will be out of town. Any tips for late season success?

and…. Who would have thunk that I'd get to hunt turkeys on Mother's Day! I would have bet a million dollars that would never happen unless I was divorced. Lucky me, I'm still married and a mother-son weekend gives me a bit of freedom.

BPhunter

Bumping this one up. I'm going to give it a go this weekend since my wife and son will be out of town. Any tips for late season success?

and…. Who would have thunk that I'd get to hunt turkeys on Mother's Day! I would have bet a million dollars that would never happen unless I was divorced. Lucky me, I'm still married and a mother-son weekend gives me a bit of freedom.
I'll go you one; On my wedding day I was at a public car auction before the ceremony. Bought a flat bed truck.

Latest posts