What reloading manual?

Hardwoodmaterials

What reloading book does everyone recommend? Do you need more than one? My FIL is sending me a complete Rock Chucker set up with everything except a tumbler and a reloading manual so I need to pick one up.

ADR

Personally like the nosler manual. Also can get condensed manual for a specific caliber from midway or other reloading suppliers.

DaveB

There are a lot of choices. Remember the Manufacturer books, like Nosler, don't report on Hornady or Barnes, or any other bullet manufacturer's products.

If you are only going to load a single caliber, or maybe three, then the probably wise choice is to get the load information for just that caliber. Someone here knows the name, I cannot recall it because I load for more than 3 calibers. This caliber-focused manual contains lots of different powders and bullet manufacturers.

Or, you can be like me, I greatly prefer Nosler and so I stick to their book.

Jcalder

I have a hornady 8th edition. I have a ton of Sierra data but not an actual manual. I've found pdf files for several calibers that interest me and have saved them to a spreadsheet. My next manual will probably be the latest Lyman manual for the simple fact of all the info, not counting the data

Big or small, kill em all

KPH

I probably go to Sierra and Hornady more than I go to any others and yes I think you need more than one. You will learn different things from each, please read at least one before you start reloading. I have 9 manuals and at one time or another will use all. There is more to reloading than just sticking a bullet in a case full of powder and a primer. Be careful of getting reloading info from the web unless you check it with another source, just because someone says it is a great reload it may not be.

Hardwoodmaterials

I guess I'm odd but I still like actual books! Ha I only plan on reloading for 270 Win. and .243 right now. He said it had dies for .223, .243, .270, 30-30, .308, 30-06, .300 Win Mag and a couple others that I don't remember. I'm bad to pick up new guns so I guess I will pick up a couple of the books with my Basspro gift cards.

TRIGGER

More information =more options. If you already know exactly what caliber, bullet and powder you are going to use then the one book that has that information will be fine but if you plan on experimenting you will need more. To me a book is invaluable because I can mark my pages and make notes. You could also do that with the Internet but I prefer the book.

7mminatree

TRIGGER":aevewuee said:
More information =more options. If you already know exactly what caliber, bullet and powder you are going to use then the one book that has that information will be fine but if you plan on experimenting you will need more. To me a book is invaluable because I can mark my pages and make notes. You could also do that with the Internet but I prefer the book.

^^this^^

Hardwoodmaterials

I was thinking of ordering the Lyman and Nosler books. I have heard the Lyman book covers a lot of stuff and I'm going to try a few types of the Nosler bullets. I'm open to suggestions before I order them though. I will mostly be messing with common calibers from 223-300 win mag. I have no interest in target bullets, casting bullets or handgun ammo.

MachDR

The Lyman is a good manual but is conservative with their loads, still one of my favorites. Nosler was running a special for a download version of their manual for 14.95. I bought it but have not had an opportunity to download it yet.

Latest posts