What makes good roosting areas

Ladys man

I'm still very green to this turkey thing but I went last Saturday doing a lil you walking in some new areas and found scratching some fresh some old, and I realize that it will probably all change in a month but what terrain features do turkeys roost in? Is it certain trees? High ridge tops? Flats?

Or does any of that matter, they just have a mind of there own? Where ever they feel like kinda thing.

woodsman04

Turkeys are typically untypical...as you read this understand that with a turkey it could be 100% correct, 100% incorrect, 50% either way, or even 75-25 either way because they can be crazy animals.

But, they like to roost over creeks, rivers, and swamps. In these areas, it appears they usually roost on top or near the top of the ridge. When I find a gobbler at daylight in hilly/mountain areas, I sit on top of the ridge above him because I think they usually pitch down up the ridge rather than below. Soon as I say that though they do opposite. Also easier to call them up hill than down. Typically......

I've never really noticed them preferring one species of tree over the other. Seems to me it's more related to terrain, immediately around them and/or proximity to a cow pasture, food plot, or other open area for feeding. Also, not many grasshoppers out yet, so their diet will still be mainly some vegetation, left over red oak acorns (I've killed a few with germinated red oaks in their crop), and bugs under the leaves.

Hard to say if they will be there on opening weekend. They very well could be, but just as likely they could be gone. I'd venture to say that if you found some turkeys, they wouldn't be far from there opening week.

Uncle Jesse

As you hunt an area you'll notice they have certain areas they like. I don't see any specific pattern other than water

I hunted some land back in the early 2000's and they would roost in the same trees every night. I'm ashamed to say, I still struggled to kill them suckers. Ain't ever seen another place like that

Boll Weevil

Weather often impacts preferred roosting site. Sometimes when it's real windy they'll roost lower on the leeward side of a ridge. They'll also sometimes limb hop at night, especially if rough weather rolls in. Too many time to count have I roosted birds in the evening only to find they've relocated over night.

Andy S.

Boll Weevil":32a5ahnh said:
Weather often impacts preferred roosting site. Sometimes when it's real windy they'll roost lower on the leeward side of a ridge. They'll also sometimes limb hop at night, especially if rough weather rolls in. Too many time to count have I roosted birds in the evening only to find they've relocated over night.
Ditto!

Latest posts