What happened last year?

BSK

I don't know what is going on, but I'm running camera censuses from northern Middle TN to western Middle TN to the Cumberland Plateau, and I have NEVER seen so many bucks with messed up racks. And usually it is just one antler. But the deformations are profound. I don't know what environmental factor - and it has to be such considering how widespread the problem is - caused this, but the symptom is amazingly common this year. In past years, I might see one in 50 bucks with a screwed up antler. This year it is more like 1 out of every 10.

megalomaniac

Just the opposite on my farms this year. So far, 13 mature bucks, all nice and respectable between 120 and 135. No giants yet.

Zero culls so far this year (last year all I had were culls). A few bucks here and there with deformed racks, but many fewer than normal.for us.

BSK

Damage from previous year from fighting.
Yes, but why such a massive increase in antler damage for this year? These properties have not experienced a sudden increase in buck age structure or other herd dynamics changes. In 25 years of running cameras, I've never seen such widespread antler deformations in a single year. I did some counts, and it really is right around 1 in 10 bucks.

Ski

Yes, but why such a massive increase in antler damage for this year? These properties have not experienced a sudden increase in buck age structure or other herd dynamics changes. In 25 years of running cameras, I've never seen such widespread antler deformations in a single year. I did some counts, and it really is right around 1 in 10 bucks.

One in ten is a lot? How messed up are you talking?

backyardtndeer

I would guess age class in most places has improved over the years with the lesser limits. A couple older bully bucks beating up the youngsters could do a bit of damage.

BSK

One in ten is a lot? How messed up are you talking?
Most of them, one antler will be multiple beams coming out of the pedicle, going in crazy directions. Or one antler is a normal antler for an 8 or 10-point but the other is a giant fork pointing in some weird direction.

BSK

I would guess age class in most places has improved over the years with the lesser limits. A couple older bully bucks beating up the youngsters could do a bit of damage.
But most of these properties are seeing age structures very common for managed properties, yet I've not seen this level of antler deformation before. And the habitat varies dramatically between properties, from ag to mountain.

BSK

Ski and Mega's comments on how this problem comes and goes on their respective properties is very interesting.

Ski

Most of them, one antler will be multiple beams coming out of the pedicle, going in crazy directions. Or one antler is a normal antler for an 8 or 10-point but the other is a giant fork pointing in some weird direction.

After reading your post yesterday I went through last year's pics and identified 6 individual bucks that had something noticeably weird going on. Half were yearlings. Two 2yrs. One older. That's on 180 aces. I habitat tinker and hunt three properties in Coffee Co and it was the only one like that, and doesn't seem to be near as bad so far this year.

I don't keep records like you, though. My cameras are for hunting purposes so I only save enough pictures to identify individual bucks and pictures relevant to a hunting plan. I'll pay more attention going forward.

BSK

After reading your post yesterday I went through last year's pics and identified 6 individual bucks that had something noticeably weird going on. Half were yearlings. Two 2yrs. One older. That's on 180 aces.
The vast majority of the freak racks I'm seeing are on bucks 3 1/2+. Although I do have one or two 2 1/2 year-olds. The older age class of buck sporting freak racks (usually just on one side) suggest these deformations are from pedicle injuries due to late fighting. But why all of sudden? Didn't see these in previous years.

Ski

The vast majority of the freak racks I'm seeing are on bucks 3 1/2+. Although I do have one or two 2 1/2 year-olds. The older age class of buck sporting freak racks (usually just on one side) suggest these deformations are from pedicle injuries due to late fighting. But why all of sudden? Didn't see these in previous years.

My guess is there was a heavier than normal crop of very late estrus doe fawns that were hitting hot after bucks had already bachelored back up. I don't have any data to support the thought other than seeing chasing into spring and then spotted fawns the following winter. I recall posting pics last year of spotted fawns well after Thanksgiving, and coincidentally a whole bunch of odd rack bucks. So my assumption is that bucks were fighting when their antlers were supposed to be falling off.

BSK

My guess is there was a heavier than normal crop of very late estrus doe fawns that were hitting hot after bucks had already bachelored back up. I don't have any data to support the thought other than seeing chasing into spring and then spotted fawns the following winter. I recall posting pics last year of spotted fawns well after Thanksgiving, and coincidentally a whole bunch of odd rack bucks. So my assumption is that bucks were fighting when their antlers were supposed to be falling off.
That would make sense. I'm seeing a LOT of very young fawns in August census pictures.

mossyoakmantn

I don't know what is going on, but I'm running camera censuses from northern Middle TN to western Middle TN to the Cumberland Plateau, and I have NEVER seen so many bucks with messed up racks. And usually it is just one antler. But the deformations are profound. I don't know what environmental factor - and it has to be such considering how widespread the problem is - caused this, but the symptom is amazingly common this year. In past years, I might see one in 50 bucks with a screwed up antler. This year it is more like 1 out of every 10.
It's funny you say that because I have several like that where I hunt. I have one that if he had both sides he would be a beast. I was kind of wondering why there were so many.

JCDEERMAN

That makes sense to me. And I too saw some very young deer around thanksgiving. This picture should explain why. August 10th and looks as if she still hadn't dropped.

IMG_5107.png

Ski

That makes sense to me. And I too saw some very young deer around thanksgiving. This picture should explain why. August 10th and looks as if she still hadn't dropped.

View attachment 195430

As I recall we had some discussions about seeing bucks chasing and sparring in the previous spring. Now we know what comes from it.

Latest posts