What does everyone think about ...................

Monty

Re: What does everyone think about ...............

4onaside said:
Arkansas has always set aside two permits for the RMEF, one for their banquet auction in Arkansas which nets considerable cash for the elk program(a hundred dollars per raffle ticket), and one for the deep pockets people to bid on(I know that two high-rollers got into a bidding war one year and the winning bid was $45,000!). That money also goes into the programs that directly benefit elk. I believe that Kentucky, the poster child of elk restoration, does basically the same thing. As far as I am aware, every state that allows elk hunting still allocates most of their lottery permits for the general public. No complaints here, because it takes money to run a game and fish dept, just as it takes money to run any business. Some apparently have difficulty grasping that concept.

Good points. It's also worth noting that more and more state G&F agencies are getting funds from their general fund or another special source (such as percentage of sales tax). TWRA does not have that capability at present. Without another funding source, the agency is going to experience more and more severe staffing and program problems.

4onaside

Locksley said:
InfoMan
TWRA Information Officer
The other 4 would be on a lottery type system that everyone would have a chance to try for.

Well that should hush the guys that think the average hunter can not get a permit.
It probably won't, because this "all of us poor people who paid for this don't have a chance" deal keeps surfacing over and over. Come on people, get real! lol The first time that I applied(2006) in Kentucky I drew a permit. Granted I am a high roller, and my celebrity is known far and wide......... At any rate, Kentucky does give one or two permits(out of 400 for the 2008 season)to the National and I believe the Kentucky chapter of the RMEF to auction for some big dollars that basically go right back into their elk program. The other 398 come right out of the hat. Tennessee is obviously no different, except that the starting number of permits are minimal, for obvious reasons. But you had better start to worry about the other 3 because I have already been told that one of the first permits has been reserved for ME!

Locksley

Well hunting for elk in the Western states is nice and different than hunting here. There is a place for hunting at both places Mule deer are only out west and they taste good you know.

Latest posts