What does everyone think about ...................

oneshothc

What does everyone think about TWRA auctioning of Elk tags in 2009? I heard this on T.V. this morning and it really upset me! We all paid in some way for this Elk Project but, only the one's that can dish out thousands of dollars are going to benifit from it(at least the first year)From what they said on T.V. I think this really sux!!!!!!!!!!!

Locksley

Well only the one's that can dish out thousands of dollars are going to benifit from the first Elk hunt because the TWRA needs the money to fund the budget . The TWRA budget is not just Elk either it is all the game and fish and other non-game animals and with the forest service plants. The first year of the hunt must show a profit for the agency to impress the politicians in the state house that this Elk idea is a money making thing.
I only wish that the Elk herd on Carter mountain and Cowan area had been left to to muultiply in that part of the Cumberland mountains. The Elk need more range to let more hunters have a chance to hunt. The people that want Elk had better get together and come up with some more areas other than the small area in the Knoxville hunting area . West Tennesseee does not want the Elk in their good flat farming areas so that leaves the east and southeast areas of the state to come up with viable solutions for Elk habitate.

Elk hunting out west makes farmers and ranchers lots of money as the hunters have to pay the farmers money for hunting rights to there land and 500.00 a hunter for one part of the season is a nice sum of money considering that there are usually 5 different sections of the season out there, that is 2,500.00 on each hunter to hunt all the seasons.

InfoMan

Looking like 5 permits. One of which will probably go to a conservation organization that will use it to raise money for the elk program. The other 4 would be on a lottery type system that everyone would have a chance to try for.

Locksley

InfoMan
TWRA Information Officer
The other 4 would be on a lottery type system that everyone would have a chance to try for.

Well that should hush the guys that think the average hunter can not get a permit.

Tiny

Locksley said:
InfoMan
TWRA Information Officer
The other 4 would be on a lottery type system that everyone would have a chance to try for.

Well that should hush the guys that think the average hunter can not get a permit.

Naw but it should.

oneshothc

InfoMan said:
Looking like 5 permits. One of which will probably go to a conservation organization that will use it to raise money for the elk program. The other 4 would be on a lottery type system that everyone would have a chance to try for.
I'll believe it when I see it........My support of TWRA is not what it use to be.......(things I've seen with my own eye's) You may know what I'm talking about (in a post of mine a few months back)

bowhunter 51

Personally, I'm surprised they even decided to open hunting
to Elk, by 2009....I'm not nearly as positive minded as some
as to how, what and where the money goes, I'm afraid...You
can't beleive everything you read.....................BH51..

4onaside

Arkansas has always set aside two permits for the RMEF, one for their banquet auction in Arkansas which nets considerable cash for the elk program(a hundred dollars per raffle ticket), and one for the deep pockets people to bid on(I know that two high-rollers got into a bidding war one year and the winning bid was $45,000!). That money also goes into the programs that directly benefit elk. I believe that Kentucky, the poster child of elk restoration, does basically the same thing. As far as I am aware, every state that allows elk hunting still allocates most of their lottery permits for the general public. No complaints here, because it takes money to run a game and fish dept, just as it takes money to run any business. Some apparently have difficulty grasping that concept.

jarhead7481

When Michigan re-introduced Elk and had there first hunt, thousands paid 5.00 a pop for a chance. Low and behold the lottery still drew the names of some pretty high rollers. Go figure. I spect the same here and will be surprised if it isn't.

4onaside

jarhead7481 said:
When Michigan re-introduced Elk and had there first hunt, thousands paid 5.00 a pop for a chance. Low and behold the lottery still drew the names of some pretty high rollers. Go figure. I spect the same here and will be surprised if it isn't.
Well, I'm about as far removed from the ranks of "high rollers" as is possible, and I paid my $10 last year for a chance at a Kentucky permit and was one of 26,000 applicants who drew out. This year, I was one of the 32,000 who paid their $10 and will be doing something other than elk hunting in Dec in Kentucky. There is a lot of crap that goes on in various endeavors, but I have total faith in the fairness of permit drawings, and I'm the living proof. LOL

Locksley

KY seems to be doing good on their restoration , but they got started when we should have here in Tennessee and were trying to start but were stopped by the Elk haters.

Locksley

spctbone said:
Locksley said:
but were stopped by the Elk haters.

You mean Elk Farmers? LOL

KY seems to be doing good on their restoration
Tennessee would have been just like KY with Elk hunts if we had stocked Elk in the Tennessee part of LBL like it was planned to at first. But the regular farmers stopped Elk restoration back then on LBL on the TN side.
The TWRA was fourced to stop restoration once and it was just farmers that hated Elk they were afraid Elk would getr started in west Tennessee.

This latest restoration effort by TWRA is in east Tennnessee cause the hunters there came up with a place that they wanted Elk on. The rest of the state has rejected Elk restoration that is why this topic is buried on the back page so to speak, off the general forum.
The Elk farmers lately have been stirring up trouble for the TWRA on the Elk restoration project though.

Team Browning

The beauty is that (1) just because you are drawn, the likelihood you will fill that tag will be small because (2) I havent seen any elk outfitters pop up yet to run someone's butt around to kill an elk.

I wish they would wait a few more years AND continue to import the elk from Canada, Colorado, North Chattanooga, whereever the hell else we can find them (provided the herd is disease-free etc,etc). I also wish they would publicly hang anyone poaching said elk as a deterrent for future idiots with bad ideas.

4onaside

Team Browning said:
The beauty is that (1) just because you are drawn, the likelihood you will fill that tag will be small because (2) I havent seen any elk outfitters pop up yet to run someone's butt around to kill an elk.

I wish they would wait a few more years AND continue to import the elk from Canada, Colorado, North Chattanooga, whereever the hell else we can find them (provided the herd is disease-free etc,etc). I also wish they would publicly hang anyone poaching said elk as a deterrent for future idiots with bad ideas.
Well, if the TWRA issues 5 tags for the maiden hunt, I would imagine that everyone will fill. #1, the elk are still in a relatively localized area, #2, they have never been hunted, and #3, the TWRA will do what they can to see that every tag is filled from a PR standpoint. Believe me, if the hunting takes place in the general area of the observation tower(not from it, but in the general area lol), it wont be that hard.

Latest posts