what does a beginner need

FishnFed

I have the rifle; 243 and AR. I have property. Do I just go to my local Academy Sports and pick up a couple mouth calls and practice? Seems logical. Is the best time like deer - first couple hours of daylight and last hour before sunset?

Thanks.

TN Song Dog

Full camo, face mask, and gloves. Shooting sticks are helpful.

Sun at your back and wind in your face (or cross wind). Set up against a back drop of trees or brush to break up your silouette. Walk in very quiet, disturb as little area as possible, and wait a few min before starting to call.

Don't over call, and don't call the same area more than once a month or every other month. Can watch some YouTube videos and search for distress sounds to practice mimicking.

Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

The benefit of electronic calls over mouth calls is that it diverts the attention to the speaker rather than to the hunter. This may allow for some movement on your part. Mouth calls work but you have to be extra careful with movement.

Wildcat

Mike's right.

Mouth calls are great and a great way to get started. But you also have to remember the predators are HUNTING THE SOUNDS, they are seriously looking for the sounds and the source of those sounds, the bird, the rabbit or other coyote making those sounds. Once they pick you out, either smell you or see you then it's game over. They can leave the area without you ever knowing they were there while others you will see running away.

Latest posts