What do you carry along on a squirrel hunt?

gat51

What tools and supplies do you carry along on your squirrel hunt? Do you travel light or take materials to dress your squirrels as you bag them. I normally carry along a folding stool and a snack. I recently read an article about cleaning the squirrels as you go instead of waiting to the end of the hunt. The less I carry, the easier it is to move around, but a few items make for a little more convenience. I was wondering what some of you do. Thanks

gat51

I think I will try cleaning squirrels as I go next week. There is always plenty of time. It would be nice to have any game cleaned and ready for a final rinse when I get back home.

pressfit

First thing I pack is some toilet paper..
then my 22
Then a hand full of cartridges.. and my mr. squirrel , squirrel call..

hgcox

im not going without my dogs, I'd probly never sqhunt again if i cant carry dogs. More enjoyable watching them work than pulling the trigger

redblood

A good lightweight accurate 22 rifle with a good trigger, a quality lughtweight scope with thin crosshairs, a sharp knife, a handful of bullets and I carve a sharp stick

Attachments

• 20170827_082220.jpg
    20170827_082220.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 7,625

winchester77jj

Carlos had one of those old huge safety pins we used to carry ours on. That was great. I have a vest so no biggie but I miss the simplicity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cferrell82

Usually go light, sometimes carry along some sundries. most important thing i carry if I dont have a dog though, comes from a little trick my granddad taught me. I'll carry along a long tube sock with a tennis ball in the end. When the squirrel lays down on you on the back side of the tree, you toss the sock ball on that side and he'll slide on around to your side...
Carlos, im with you on fried up like chicken, and for the pin, i saw somebody carrying the large blanket pins in stock not so long ago...

Mike Belt

I always just picked up a limb and threw it on the other side of the tree. The only thing I ever carry squirrel hunting is whatever I'm shooting.

UpperTully

Its hot this time of year, I pack light but what is needed. I usually walk about a mile to where I squirrel hunt.

I pack a 22 rifle, handful of Mini-Mags, small can of skeeter dope for the 50,000 skeeters that want to take me away and 2 bottles of water.

Latest posts