What did you do today in the reloading room?

MUP

Had to show the 6.5cm some love tonight. 143eldx, 140 Barnes matchburner & 140 hornady bthp. Gonna be 50 and sunny Saturday will bring the 7-08 with 120 NBT loads & 6.5 to find go to loads. Looking forward to burning powder I've loaded last 3 months.
Heck yea buddy! I expect some pics!

My evening consisted of depriming some brass cases from last outing, and cleaning rifles. Oh, and it's supposed to be 75 here by Sunday! 😳

backyardtndeer

Primed 260 federal 223 cases.
20220302_171022-1.jpg

MUP

MUP, what's your drying method after the FART?

Reason I ask, I'm considering getting into the wet tumbling.
I just strain out the pins and dirty water initially, (the tumbler comes with a straining cap) then pour the brass into a clean pail with a few inches of water in it to rinse them off, and to shake out any pins that may be inside. Then I pull them out 2 or 3 at a time, shake them out, and place them onto a towel. Once out I'll roll them with a shop towel(paper) to soak up the excess droplets, and usually that' it, unless there's good sunlight left and I'm in a hurry, then I'll set them outside on the picnic table in the sun to dry. This has worked for me for a couple of years. ;)

backyardtndeer

Exactly what I was hoping worked. I want to switch to wet tumbling just because it takes so long in the dry tumbler to get the results I like to see but don't want to keep buying equipment to fill the bench. Appreciate the help!
Think the big fart is on sale right now for $149 at midway.

I just use heavy packing paper to lay my brass out on after wet tumbling. Will swap the paper out if it gets too saturated. Seems to work pretty well.

DaveB

My SS tumbling is much like MUPs----I have a rotatable device that shakes the pins loose and pretty much gets rid of moisture drops.

I throw the brass on a towel and place them in the sun. I have been know to throw the brass into my old media tumbler to shake loose pins

SS tumbling is at the least no longer in time than corn cob tumbling and the results are generally better.

Some basics:
1. You cannot tumble nickle plated
2. I use a purple degreaser from Wally's joint instead of dawn Platinum.
3. I double rinse when SS tumbling is complete
4. I do 500 223 at a time and run the tumbler for 75 minutes.
5. I only tumble decapped brass.
6. I never use any commercial product besides the purple stuff and SS pins.

I'm staring at some brass tumbled in December 2019. the shine remains awesome

DaveB

What happens when you use SS pins and wet tumble nickel? I haven't tried any yet, but I have a bunch.
The nickle & brass comes out ruined--well nearly. Comes out a weird, ugly aluminum/bronze color dull. Did this twice. There is supposed to be some kind of fluid you can use to stop this from happening but I have not done so---I used my Lyman Turbo 2200 and corn cob media to correct it.

I only SS tumble brass. All nickle goes in my 2200 and I only use corn cob media and do not decap first.

TNBillyEarl

Working on a load for my 7mm08. Found a couple of decent groupings last week w/ a warm barrel. Wanted to confirm today w/ a cold bore. Loaded up another 3 rounds and headed out. 43.0g Varget / 140g NP / two hundredths off lands. First shot, cold bore, shown upper right. Very happy.

43.0g Varget.jpg

MUP

Working on a load for my 7mm08. Found a couple of decent groupings last week w/ a warm barrel. Wanted to confirm today w/ a cold bore. Loaded up another 3 rounds and headed out. 43.0g Varget / 140g NP / two hundredths off lands. First shot, cold bore, shown upper right. Very happy.

View attachment 131060
Oh heck yea! 👍

DaveB

Yep, the entire .284 family seems to shoot exceptionally well.
Here is an old pic of some .280 load testing which we found to be equally perfect regardless of Nosler Partition, Accubond, or NBT.
BTW, this was FIRST day at range with brand new .280. COAL is 3.360 -->3.370 52 gr IMR4350 Fed210M R-P brass
SAM_1386.JPG

Robtattoo

Well, since I managed to find a few pounds of h110 again, I figured I ought to fire up the chop saw & restock on .300blk.
I cut, sized & prepped 900 cases today & managed to get 350 of them loaded before I ran out of willpower!
50 Tac-Tx & 300 110gn V-max. I'll finish them up on Wednesday then I've got a couple thousand 5.56 cases left over to prep & enough Varget left to load maybe 350 of them.

One of these days I'll quit torturing myself & buy a progressive....

Latest posts