Food Plots What can I use

Tweeter

What's something cheap I can use to totally kill everything in about a half acre area?

I want to have bare ground and crack corn the doves till 10 days before and to see wheat and drag it in to be legal, and maybe have a winter wheat field for the deer to eat

DoubleRidge

Compared to just two or three years ago...nothing is cheap anymore...but agree that Glysophate is the most affordable option and you can get a smaller jug so doing half acre wont be so bad....to save a little try to find a store house brand 41% glysophate and stay away from the big name brands.....also if you know any farmers who buy it in bulk you may be able to buy a jug from them if they have any left over.

deerfever

Hit with Gly as others have said, if I wanted to plant something as Mega suggested instead of throwing corn another option may be buckwheat. I plant it and rotate it in my field each year. Fairly cheap , Comes up quick , helps the soil and when you mow after it seeds the doves love it , then you could turn up and do your wheat.Just a thought, I don't know what equipment you have but I am convinced buckwheat will grow on pavement! Lol

twcgo

if you are near a rural king they had 41% gly , 2.5 gal for $69 last time i was in there. bout half price of what it was last year this time

BSK

IF you get the rain. Last year with the drought we had, we had 20% germination and those that did grow grew about 6". That was bad!
Everything I planted in fall died from the drought. Had to replant in late October. Just wheat and crimson clover, and it had a short growing season. Just ended up being light ground cover. hardly got more than lip high. Below was about it.

Attachments

• plots23.jpg
    plots23.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 41

JCDEERMAN

Everything I planted in fall died from the drought. Had to replant in late October. Just wheat and crimson clover, and it had a short growing season. Just ended up being light ground cover. hardly got more than lip high. Below was about it.
Our fall plots did great, but that was after the rain came in October. From may until October was nothing.

Carlos

Not that I'd ever consider baiting Doves- but I don't think twra can enter private property without a warrant as of RN.

deerhunter10

What's something cheap I can use to totally kill everything in about a half acre area?

I want to have bare ground and crack corn the doves till 10 days before and to see wheat and drag it in to be legal, and maybe have a winter wheat field for the deer to eat
If you don't have a decent amount of birds, turkeys, or wildlife in general they won't clean it up. If they find even 1 piece laying on the ground if they check you won't have a good day. Leave the corn out of it and just keep it sprayed and then top sow your wheat 10 to 14 days before season. I usually use cornerstones but just about any glyphosate will do. In the future if you grow it you can manipulate it just about anyway you want.

backyardtndeer

tellico4x4

Gly & 24DB is what I've used past couple years. However this year I'm trying Gly & Glufosinate plus crop oil. 3 oz ea of Gly/Glu & 1% solution of crop oil. Got a couple guys that hunt with us that farm thousands of acres in AR, they told me that this is their go-to burn down mixture, so giving it a try.

megalomaniac

Gly & 24DB is what I've used past couple years. However this year I'm trying Gly & Glufosinate plus crop oil. 3 oz ea of Gly/Glu & 1% solution of crop oil. Got a couple guys that hunt with us that farm thousands of acres in AR, they told me that this is their go-to burn down mixture, so giving it a try.
What's the planting delay for glufosinate?

I was a little disappointed my gly plus 24d didn't eradicate my buttercup weed in some of my plots

Latest posts