Wet fire wood

Spike

We keep a pile of fire wood at camp. No electric heat bunk house with propane heater. Keep it off till bed time and sit around big camp fire to keep warm. What is the best way to get a fire started with wet wood? would vegitable oil and a fire starter log work?

AlexDad

On that last cub scout camp I mentioned a few threads down, all of our wood was wet and covered with frost the next morning. We used that lighter fluid used to start a charcoal grill.

After you get a good fire going, stack the unused wood next to the fire so it can be drying out.

Hawk

I hate to post this but if you are cold and need a fire it will work. Find a wide shallow can simular to a tuna fish can and make a depession in the ground to put the can in. The can will be more stable will not turn over as easy. This is important because if it turns over! BOOM
Fill with gas and lay some small wood kindling or make a teepee over can and light the gas. Lay more larger sticks until you have a roaring fire.

As long as the gas is contained in the can it will burn safely.
Any can will work but wide shallow ones are safer.

philburr

AlexDad said:
On that last cub scout camp I mentioned a few threads down, all of our wood was wet and covered with frost the next morning. We used that lighter fluid used to start a charcoal grill.

After you get a good fire going, stack the unused wood next to the fire so it can be drying out.

Thats what we called Scout water :smile:

Poor redneck

I carry a blow torch in my truck. Pile wood on top of stack of smaller wood, beer in one hand torch in the other, fire is started by the time beer hand needs more beer. I have it down to a science no matter the conditions.

Greenhead

You dont need anything but one match and a stick of fatwood/richpine. It will light with the rosin in the wood and then fuel with small, very small stick and kindling. Be patient! Build it up ever so slowly.

Latest posts