Western Trip Guys: 8x or 10x Binos?

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
After a lot of research for binos at my budget, I've decided on the Athlon Midas—but I am still agonizing over whether to get 8x42 or 10x42's. I know, it's a topic that's been beaten to death on forums all over…

But I need the "campfire's" take, because like me, y'all use your binos 90%+ of the time in Tennessee. But some use them out West, too.

My dad and I are going after some Western whitetails in early November, and looking to enjoy elk country in the next 5 years.

Huntaholic

10x50s are my choice. Get decent glass, youll be using them constantly out there. Its not like around here where you only glass to see how good the animal is youve already spotted. Out there, I pick a spot with a view and glass CONSTANTLY.

Hduke86

Definitely 10 but if you need to "compare" what a 10x50 looks like, just give me a holler. I've got a 10x50 vortex razor uhd set you can checkout. 49A41848-D323-4EE4-8096-A2830B33AFB7.jpeg

Mattt

10x50 is the best, but these days I run 10x42. More compact package and I hunt from a pack more than a vehicle. Spend money here. I would budget at least 600.00. That would be entry level. I've done it with cheap glass and worked my way up. Mistake.would have saved money in the long run if I had spent the money up front. Bare minimum I'd say leupold bx-4. Wanna do it right Swarovski,Leica .

PaintRocker

10x50 is the best, but these days I run 10x42. More compact package and I hunt from a pack more than a vehicle. Spend money here. I would budget at least 600.00. That would be entry level. I've done it with cheap glass and worked my way up. Mistake.would have saved money in the long run if I had spent the money up front. Bare minimum I'd say leupold bx-4. Wanna do it right Swarovski,Leica .
Couldn't agree more! Absolutely spend the money here. Western hunting you will use them constantly. That country is just so BIG.

TNRifleman

10 for sure and if your going to be glassing a lot, I would really try to up your budget. Eye fatigue is a real thing. Take a hard look at the Tract Toric binos or if you can't spend that much, there are a few pairs of Meopta Meopro HD's on ebay that are more economical but are fantastic glass.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled

You're absolutely right, but I am in the "have two toddlers at home" stage of life.

I wouldn't have it any other way, but the consequence for binos is that it's hard not to feel that I'll either get a $300-$400 pair or end up sticking with the Vortex Raptors I've got this year (porro lenses that are an eye fatigue machine—they were free and from several years ago when I was a broke student).

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
And honestly, for this year's trip (given terrain and tactics) I may be able to get by just using my rifle scope—it's not an area where you have to pick deer out in their beds.

So that potentially leaves me in a better position next year to up my glass budget.

Mattt

Bro if you can afford to do the trip you can afford the glass. Boots,socks,binos. In that order. Pick up aluminum cans if you must. I have a 30 yo and a 5 yo. I'm 51. Most all of us figured it out you can too. Hell I'll loan you my backup 10x50s but u break them u buy them. It'll save you 20 bucks in ibuprofen.

PillsburyDoughboy

10x is the way to.

Your going to be glassing alot . And by alot I mean almost all day. I cannot stress weight. 10x yes. 10x50 get really heavy by the end of a day. You will greatly appreciate a pair of 10x42 at the end of a day. Unless your in a position to glass from a tripod such as from a truck or 4 wheeler. Then if that was the case you might as well go with 12x.

Don't skimp on this very key piece of equipment. There are even rental programs out there if you dont want to buy. . Amazon let a you try it before you buy it and you can exchange it within 30 days with them. GL

Redfox

10x50. I actually run 12x50 now and like the extra power. I vortex has a pretty good bang for the buck in binos. Their binos and spotters seem very clear, unlike their scopes….

Deer@Dawn

10x50. Find a store that will let you compare outside, preferably on an overcast day. I have Vortex and Leupold, both have about the same optics. The Leupold's are heavier, thus they have become blind or vehicle binos only.

Madbowh

10x42s

If your looking at anything more than 1/2 mile away you'll want a tripod. You will only make out what the animal is, very difficult to be steady enough to watch anything past 1/2 mile. I've been hunting out west in places I can see up to a few miles a tripod and spotting scope is well worth it instead of binoculars if your hunting. I'll get within shooting range and use my scope to make sure it's legal.

Bought these for out west and they stay in camp every year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230927_093133_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20230927_093133_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts