Well we're back from rock hunting

Cuttin Caller

Staff member
Re: Well were back from rock hunting

I think you were gonna see if anyone took the bait, so I nibbled at it and you set the hook. ;)

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Re: Well were back from rock hunting

Nimrod,
Look at the picture with man in it.
What you see is what you get around here.
Little bit of water (walk 3 to 4 days after a good rain) quite a bit of sand (generally from 6" to 12" deep and a PAIN to walk through) and then you will see a pile of rocks like you can see over his right shoulder in the distance.
Alot of times it will be piled up in a slight or sharp bend in the creek and will normally be sitting on what I call "hard bottom" instead of sand.
There will be bricks, tires, road gravel, asphalt and then natural "creek rock" in these piles.
Along with all this other "stuff" there will be, occasionally, an arrowhead laying in there too.
I actually find it easier to find arrowheads around here than it is closer to Middle Tennessee where the creeks are ALL rocks.
They are just easier to see.
Every once in a while there will be one just laying right out in the open with no other kind of rock around it at all.

I just walk slowly and scan the area of rocks with my eyes. All the while looking for,
1) A complete and uncovered arrowhead.
2) The point or the base of an arrowhead that is uncovered.
3) The "edge" of an arrowhead like in the first picture.
4) Any rock of a "strange" color such as white or red or even green that is the only one of that color in the pile.

Generally I look for those things in that order but any can jump out at ya.
Hoping to get a little walking in while I am in Chattanooga next month. I have tried every time I have been there but never seem to have the time.
I did walk a ditch behind a motel in Dayton one time but only for about 15 minutes. :D

grapple

What I find well interesting, strange, amazing and of corse sad is that in the pictures I see: asphalt, several types of concrete, metal, glass and an arrow head. Like I said amazing and a little erritating.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
grapple,
The very first arrowhead I ever found was SMACK DAB in the middle of an old tire.
I had the same thoughts many times.
It is amazing at the garbage you find in creeks.
Probably the oddest thing was what my friend found. It was a wedding band. Just a simple plain wedding band, presumeably a man's.
Weird.
There was one other VERY strange thing we found also, but I won't post it on here. :D

Latest posts