Well, this isn't a good sign (Oklahoma)

DeerCamp

My brother made a trip up to deer camp this week to prep a few things for our annual trip up there this year.

For those that don't know, Oklahoma is in a drought that is off the charts, and the area we hunt is right smack in the middle of the worst of it. Everything is dead, ponds are drying up. There is one little pond the property that still has some water in it.

He put this camera out yesterday afternoon, and this morning here is the first deer pic I received. :(

I don't even care about the antlers, but this deer looks terrible.

Could this be something more than malnutrition? EHD maybe.

1666016484981.png

Ski

I was stationed in SW OK hen I was a young troop, and deer often looked pretty skimpy. I wouldn't worry that it's EHD until I had information to suggest it. I bet you'll be seeing better deer soon as we get closer to November.

BSK

I think it is the lack of natural browse. I've noticed all my natural browse - which the deer were living on - has dried up.

DeerCamp

I think it is the lack of natural browse. I've noticed all my natural browse - which the deer were living on - has dried up.
And the drought Oklahoma is facing is monumentally worse than anything we dealt with this year.

I'm sure it will impact antler production, but the main reason I go isn't for deer :) so I'll be there regardless

BSK

And the drought Oklahoma is facing is monumentally worse than anything we dealt with this year.

I'm sure it will impact antler production, but the main reason I go isn't for deer :) so I'll be there regardless
It will impact antler development next year. I've noticed excellent antler development in our area this year because of the awesome acorn crop we had last year. Deer lived high-on-the-hog all winter on those acorns and went into the spring season in excellent shape.

Antler development is usually linked to the previous winter's resources and conditions.

megalomaniac

Drought map released today...

OK and KS are in BAD shape. West to middle TN aren't doing well.

Here in south MS at my house, we've only had an inch of rain in 6w. But that was after 25in rain mid June thru mid Aug. My yard is dead, azaleas leaves are severely drooped, and trees are shedding leaves. We still haven't even planted food plots at my lease here... no point, no chance they will grow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221020-222740_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221020-222740_Chrome.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 39

DeerCamp

Drought map released today...

OK and KS are in BAD shape. West to middle TN aren't doing well.

Here in south MS at my house, we've only had an inch of rain in 6w. But that was after 25in rain mid June thru mid Aug. My yard is dead, azaleas leaves are severely drooped, and trees are shedding leaves. We still haven't even planted food plots at my lease here... no point, no chance they will grow.
The wildlife manager for that district told me this drought is worse than the one that caused the dust bowl, but ag practices have been improved and that's the only thing keeping it from getting worse.

That white dot is where I'll be.

1666361786085.png

Latest posts