wearing orange while turkey hunting

tahtah

The thread about wearing orange while on a deer stand made me wonder about this. Does anyone wear orange while turkey hunting, public or private land? I hunt public. I always wear it deer hunting. I don't wear orange while turkey hunting. I do carry at least an orange hat in my backpack. If I feel another hunter is close by, I can throw it on. I know people say deer can't see orange. Can turkeys?

Remington700

I never wear orange while hunting turkeys. I do have a reversible hat and orange in my turkey vest. I flip it out when coming out with a bird on public.

deerfever

Never seen anyone wearing orange while turkey hunting. My vest has a strip of orange to pull out when you have a turkey that you are carrying out of the woods . I did hunt a draw hunt once on an army base that you were required to bring an orange hat to put on anytime you were moving, then once you set up you simply put it in your vest and put your camo hat on.

Safari Hunt

Haven't yet, camo only but wearing orange while going to the stand/blind might make sense. My ground blind has an orange "banner" on top. But don't wear anything blue or red.

th88

I am seriously considering wearing an orange hat or small vest this spring on public lands. Pressure just keeps getting more ridiculous each spring. Had two dangerous encounters last year, one that still makes me sick to my stomach. But I reckon this pressure is the new norm now. Never thought I'd see the day where id reccomend people to wear orange while turkey hunting.

catman529

I never have worn it during the spring, turkeys can see more colors than us. However I would like to try it one day just to see if turkeys don't spook like in the fall. Seems during bow season a turkey will see me up in a tree in camp and head the other way. But when I'm wearing orange during gun season they just check me out and go about their business.

megalomaniac

I've only felt unsafe turkey hunting twice, and it was on my own private land. Both times shot at by trespassers trying to sneak up on birds on my property coming to my calls. I caught both.

I haven't spent much time on public, but if I were to be in a situation that was unsafe, I would report it and avoid that area in the future.

TSS does give me more pause... I bet that stuff would penetrate skin at 100 yards

T. J. Mercer

This entire thread boggles my mind (but the entire need for wearing blaze orange during ANY season does also ...).
A deer hunter might be 200 to 300 yards away, far enough to struggle with sight (but never, IMO, far enough to "shoot at movement" ...).
But what kinda' crazy shotgun shells are people using for you to be far enough away to be confused for a bird yet close enough to be shot at?
Y'all got people rifle hunting for turkey in your neck of woods?
Drop-checking a deer is one thing, but a turkey?!?!?

No way I'm wearing any color whatsoever while turkey hunting, and that includes moving around. I've walked upon more birds in range than called them in, and I'm certain it's because I looked like a giant shrub.
I swear they can see my arrow fletching at 50 yards ...

th88

But what kinda' crazy shotgun shells are people using for you to be far enough away to be confused for a bird yet close enough to be shot at?
It is more a function of the sheer amount of people hunting some public lands now.

Opening day in TN last year I had a bird roosted. He flew down across a river onto private. Heard another gobbling on up the river so took after him. I set up about ~50 yards from the property line. I hear someone start calling behind me to my left. The gobbler is working his way in kind of between us. I'm just waiting for him to cross the property line when BOOM, BOOM! The guy to my left took 70+ yard shots at the bird while he was still on private. Of course he missed. Looking back, I should have just risked spooking the bird to let the guy know I was there (Even though he heard me calling, may have thought I was a hen).

Next incident was 2nd day of LBL season. Once again, had a bird roosted. He flies down just out of range and about that time someone starts yapping way off behind me. I got a bearing of the bird and made a big circle to try to cut him off. (Opposite direction of the yapper). I'm easing along, scratching, clucking every now and then. As I crest a hill, I spot a hen decoy at 20 yards. I immediately yell "DON'T SHOOT!" and throw my arms up. Look to my right and there is a shotgun being lowered, it was aimed right at me. I asked the guy if he thought I was a turkey and he just said "yep". Ugh. Doesn't matter what load he was shooting that close. Guy was super nice and had parked before he got to my vehicle so he didn't see it (I believe him). Once I got out to the road, I noticed a 2nd truck had parked about 100 yards behind the guy i'd just talked to's truck! So effectively, four of us were on the same bird.

I'd always wanted to hunt LBL and see if it lived up to the 'googan' expectation. It did. LOL. I have zero desire to ever go back.

deerfever

I think the OP was just asking a general question about turkeys and can they see orange. Again I don't know of anyone that wears orange turkey hunting but I do pull that strip out of my vest when I am carrying one out of the woods. It would be nice to know that most people take the extra precaution to make sure of their target but why do we read about turkey hunting accidents each year? I do my best to avoid people at all cost , even if I am at a spot first , I will leave every time if someone pulls in where I am at. When a bird gobbles that is what everyone is going to and quiet frankly I don't want around people I don't know if I can avoid it. Now that's just me , do whatever you think is right on public land. I have killed many birds by just moving on to another area so its all good! Now if I was on a hunt that was crowded and I didn't feel safe moving then you better believe I wear that orange strip as I walk out to get in my truck to leave wether I am carrying one out or not!

woodsman04

With TSS, and super duper tight patterns coupled with the googan takeover I wouldn't blame someone for wearing orange. Public or private. Private has bad encounters public.

Another thought, lots of people use TSS number 7s because the shelves get gone of the 9s and 8s pretty fast. So if TSS 9s is same weight or density as lead 5s, then TSS 7 probably like 3 lead.

Latest posts