Waves on Kty

scn

Well dang. I was planning on going up in late october for fall crappie and stay in a clients cabin. I dont want no part of those kind of waves
Don't let it scare you. I hunted and fished it for many years in a boat smaller than yours. There are days it is as calm as a farm pond. But, you do need to watch the weather forecasts. Much wind from the N or S and it can get rough in a hurry.

And, there are a bunch of access points on the lake in some protected bays, so, there aren't many days you couldn't find somewhere safe to fish.

Last edited:

Redfox

Bad enough that I wish I could forget some days. Trolling motors blowing apart, electronics mounts ripping out of the deck, boats full of water and soaking wet, can only see land when you crest over a wave, etc. Seems like a big north wind and a strong south current make for the most violent trips.

It can catch you off guard at times. It can be completely fine and as you travel up/down river you can get lined up with the wind and suddenly it goes from glass to rollers.

WTM

Well dang. I was planning on going up in late october for fall crappie and stay in a clients cabin. I dont want no part of those kind of waves
the winds arent the worry in the fall. have some good maps and study them, and remember, this lake was built out of farmland, cleared timber stands and small towns. there is the main channel, then all of those places barely covered by water.

like SCN said, there are plenty of creeks with ramps to get out of the wind.

TheLBLman

And, there are a bunch of access points on the lake in some protected bays, so, there aren't many days you couldn't find somewhere safe to fish.
Most days, there will be no problem with high winds & waves.

On those days where wind/waves are a concern, simply limit your excursion to fishing in a major bay, and choose one protected from whichever way the wind is expected. Most of the bays offer good protection from a north wind.

What you don't want is to be either on east or west shore, then need to cross main channel or run up/down it in high winds. High water can also be dangerous in main channel. I sure wouldn't want to be running it this morning after all the rain last night. Bet there are some big logs there now.

redblood

Awesome info guys thank you. Planning late october- usually pretty stable weather. Know nothing about it other than its a canin on ky lake with its own dock. Looks like its in a small
Cove.

NumberOne

I don't know what the biggest waves I have been in. Seen them big enough at Danville coming through the gap where you weren't going to get it on plane at all in any bass boat. The worst wind is a NW wind from Paris south to richland. The main channel runs back to the northwest mainly and it will rearrange your testicles with a 5-10 mph NW wind. If its out of the NE in that stretch, you can run the east side of the channel and its not nearly as bad. 15 mph you better forget about it. A 10 mph south wind will get rough but its not nerve racking until its 10-20 mph out of the south.

Latest posts