Watching public land hunting....

redblood

I have only hunted public land on a few draws hunts and some coyote hunts. But i find myself really enjoying watching it on youtube. Not just catman and THP but many others as well. I definitely have the utmost respect for those guys who can consistently harvest mature bucks on public land especially with a bow. I can only imagine the amount of skill and effort it takes. Certainly some beautiful places i can visit, from the comfort of my couch lol

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I don't miss the old hunting shows. Knowing that THP hunt in places any of us *could* makes it so real.
I also don't miss the rock music playing in the background of the old style hunting videos.

redblood

I don't miss the old hunting shows. Knowing that THP hunt in places any of us *could* makes it so real.
I also don't miss the rock music playing in the background of the old style hunting videos.
Heard that! The blaring b-list metal they played as the deer approached was a bit distracting. But there is a real satisfaction knowing , that even though i never would, i could hunt that same spot.

Snake

It's entertaining but it's starting to take its toll on the limited public lands.
Not in the eastern part of the state . Cherokee National Forest but its not for the ordinary hunter believe me . I used to hunt in Tellico and when I finally killed a small buck I quit I just didn't have what it took but didn't let it beat me until I scored. Hunters that consistently kill mature bucks there are of another breed . Physically taxing just to hunt then when you do kill one its totally another story .

Rackseeker

I hunt public land probably 95% of the time. Here in TN and out of state. It is hard hunting to say the least. Being almost 50 yrs old I enjoy the scouting and trying to figure mature bucks out more than the killing anymore. I also watch alot of public land videos on youtube. I appreciate the time those fellas put into their videos. There are some good bucks to be killed on public land if you put your time in.

TX300mag

It's entertaining but it's starting to take its toll on the limited public lands.
I didn't hunt a lot this year, but I saw a SIGNIFICANT increase in the number of hunters on public land. COVID probably plays a part, but the hunting shows are having an impact.

I haven't gotten around to watching THP much, but it seems like they are running into a lot of people in the field that know who they are.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Hopefully it leads to more public land acquisitions as it becomes apparent that direct (license, taxes on sporting goods) and indirect (overall economic boost related to hunting) revenues are on an increase.

easy45

I love the THP and catman shows, I like the idea of hunting public land but honestly as long as I have good private farms I'll probably rarely hunt public.

huvrman

I watched so many of those old videos that now when I see a large lone buck, I hear the music in my head...

catman529

I didn't hunt a lot this year, but I saw a SIGNIFICANT increase in the number of hunters on public land. COVID probably plays a part, but the hunting shows are having an impact.

I haven't gotten around to watching THP much, but it seems like they are running into a lot of people in the field that know who they are.
Covid put a hurting on the wildlife across the state all year. Even on private land that didn't hardly get hunted before. The good thing is, it probably got a lot more people into hunting which is good for the future of our sport.

catman529

I love the THP and catman shows, I like the idea of hunting public land but honestly as long as I have good private farms I'll probably rarely hunt public.
I always want more private property to hunt, but the fact of the matter is, there's so much country out there open to the public, I can find and hunt new places any day, and learn something new and enjoy the change of scenery. Sometimes it's overrun with hunters and sometimes I have the place to myself. I wouldn't experience some of the things I do if I just hunted a few private farms.

TX300mag

Covid put a hurting on the wildlife across the state all year. Even on private land that didn't hardly get hunted before. The good thing is, it probably got a lot more people into hunting which is good for the future of our sport.
Absolutely! This type of hunting is what we need if the next generation is going to stick with hunting.

Private land is generally out of the average person's reach in much of Texas. Catman Outdoors and THP are encouraging hunters to get out into the woods and enjoy the sport without unrealistic expectations and unsustainable spending.

Yes Catman, you read that right. I'm seeing your name pop up here in Texas where people are being encouraged enough to jump into hunting public lands again!

th88

Lot of public lands turning into a crap show thanks to Covid and social media. Anxious to see how long this continues. PuBlIc LaNd HuNtInG iS sO cOoL!

I predict another spring where there are record numbers of turkey hunters shot.

DeerCamp

I can also recommend Remi Warren's channel.

Dude does things with a bow on public land I can't do with a gun on private land. Unreal dedication to film and hunt.

JCDEERMAN

I enjoy watching THP, catman and The Hunting Beast. I'll give it to them - I can't deal with people walking over me. I'm fortunate enough to hunt private. I have learned several things from all three that I can apply to my style. They are fun to watch because it is all REAL.

Trapper John

I like watching them because I admire the effort they put in to it. I know myself. I couldn't do that. I'm lucky to have access to private and get annoyed when stray dogs wander in on a hunt not to mention other people. I'm also impressed at how good hunters they are. I love to hunt, but I'm a poor hunter. I'm just patient and a good shot. Those guys put in the work and have the knowledge to make it effective. Can't imagine going public like they do and am impressed beyond words at what they accomplish.

On top of that, I like the realism. After growing up watching shows like Buckmasters I enjoy seeing regular people hunt places like they do.

DRSJ35

it is making people with unlimited private to now try public. My usual areas are being overrun with people. When there use to be pretty much very few. I talk to most of them when I see them. And I say you do realize I hunt public cause I have to. And they tell yes but we are looking for a challenge.and this is just in the last couple years. Plus I found these places by making phone calls years ago to the twra. Now it's highlighted on the twra maps. All legal of course. I could deal without the challenge for a change. Lol

easy45

I always want more private property to hunt, but the fact of the matter is, there's so much country out there open to the public, I can find and hunt new places any day, and learn something new and enjoy the change of scenery. Sometimes it's overrun with hunters and sometimes I have the place to myself. I wouldn't experience some of the things I do if I just hunted a few private farms.
I definitely see nothing wrong with that

Latest posts