watch out for your tomatoes: hornworms

WTM

i havent had any yet but i saw a hummingbird clearwing spinx moth laying eggs on my tomato leaves. i will spray with neem oil tomorrow.

they are a cool looking moth and great pollinators, but im not having them on my tomatoes.

catman529

Clearwing moths don't feed on tomato, it could have been laying eggs on the tomatoes but near another host plant. Carolina sphinx are the main culprit on most tomatoes, I let one get away from me, they did some damage

9a747e92af0625782aa036f37168771a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WTM

catman529":2x07m2am said:
Clearwing moths don't feed on tomato, it could have been laying eggs on the tomatoes but near another host plant. Carolina sphinx are the main culprit on most tomatoes, I let one get away from me, they did some damage

9a747e92af0625782aa036f37168771a.jpg

it was laying eggs on the underside of the leaves. kind of cool to watch. i thought it was a hummingbird but it hovered and curled its tail up to touch the leaves, until i smacked it with the dishpan.

those things give me the creeps, i cant bear to touch them. a stab with a pocket knife is about all i can fathom.

Nimrod777

Don't know that I've ever had them before, but since y'all started BRINGING IT UP ... I've pulled four off my plants in the last two days. The last one was digging straight into a green tomato, little dirt bag! I throw them out to the road so the birds can get em.

catman529

Nimrod777":h128i5f3 said:
Don't know that I've ever had them before, but since y'all started BRINGING IT UP ... I've pulled four off my plants in the last two days. The last one was digging straight into a green tomato, little dirt bag! I throw them out to the road so the birds can get em.
you got it easy if you only picked 4. [emoji1]

Nimrod777

4 to start with. Several more since then (plus a couple of the tiny black caterpillars with a thin yellow stripe, that I'm not sure I've identified).

Last night I came home, heard some music coming from the garden, with a heavy bass beat. Went over to look around, found two sphinx moths "doing it" right there on the brandywines.

Figures.

Latest posts