Wasnt expecting it…..

redblood

Went to the lake Sunday, expecting incredible fishing, water was cooler and figured the fall crappie bite would be epic. Went to all my tried and true spots. Nothing. I have gotten pretty competent using active target 2 to locate crappie and can easily distinguish them from other fish. No way i could have caught them because they simply were not there. Most spots were submerged brushpiles in 10 to 18 ft of water. Saw a few on standing timber and a few on bridge supports but they never bite there. I have never fished fall crappie but were able to do well in the hot summer. Where do they go? In fact, all we caught were bluegill. Please help. Definitely gonna be a river weekend this week but may try a lake the next week.

redblood

Take this as second hand knowledge but a buddy of mine has been catching them good on and around tall stumps with a hair jig.
I simply could not physically find fish. I scanned tons of stumps but they werent there. I Dont understand. I dont know what they typically do in the fall. Would high pressure and the strong cold front drive them deep? Or do they head to shallow coves ? I have no ide

TRIGGER

My buddy is running the Garmin with the Danny Rogers Visualizer box and says he still has to pull a jig beside the stumps to "bring them out". He said they are tight to the stump or the bottom that just scoping them doesn't work. Take that for what it is.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
This was on a brush pile I found back in the summer on priest. We fished it this past friday.
It was loaded with black crappie and we caught around 15 of of it with only a few shorts.
We pulled 7 or 8 big whites of of it back in the summer but it wasn't loaded like this.

Attachments

• 20231006_084042.mp4
    24.5 MB
Last edited:

Crow Terminator

Mine have relocated as well. Where they went...I have no idea but I trolled several miles looking and never found them other than a scattered short one here and there. Another important thing that I noticed was missing was bait fish.

Harold Money jr

before I write something like I know it first hand, you should look on MLF's website and read the Mark Davis fall crappie article it talks about extraordinary depth crappie go to in the fall. Although I think they are still transitioning from summer to full blown fall.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
One of the smaller lakes I fish is like that.
I have spent like an hour just moving along scanning and see ZERO fish other than the occasional suspended single fish, that I assume are bass.
It's like they disappear.
Very odd deal sometimes.

WTM

you have it backwards. fish go deep in low pressure conditions and suspend or on bottom near cover shallower in higher pressure conditions. most folks dont realize that crappie move a lot, a lot more during a sharp rise or fall in pressure. tomorrow and friday will be killer days. 29.7 to 30.2 is considered stable.

dont really know where you fish and what type of lake and crappie you target so itd be hard for most on here to give you some tips.

ifin it were me id sidescan/downscan the ledge breaks for cover, mark them and then check them with FFS and then move up to the flats if you dont find them there. i wouldnt overlook docks this time of year for blacks either. again a hundred foot deep highland lake or a natural basin lake will be different more than likely.

the fall bite here on ky lake wont start until the surface temps get around 60 down to close to 50. about the same for pre-spawn feed in the spring. this morning it was 72.

bluball

My buddy is running the Garmin with the Danny Rogers Visualizer box and says he still has to pull a jig beside the stumps to "bring them out". He said they are tight to the stump or the bottom that just scoping them doesn't work. Take that for what it is.
Thanks for the kind words about the visualizer box. @redblood danny sells one for the active target also.We are out of the shop this week though.We are at a dealer show at willow oak lodge,timmy hortons place.

redblood

Well i was humbled for sure. My fishing buddy requested a river trip this weekend. Those fish arent picky!

Our mini fall break starts next friday. Holing the fish will shift back to the usual
Spots by then

redblood

Thanks for the kind words about the visualizer box. @redblood danny sells one for the active target also.We are out of the shop this week though.We are at a dealer show at willow oak lodge,timmy hortons place.
Thank you. I have an AT 2 . I love it. Looks a little different than the garmin. I think the AT 2 is better for locating school- they show up like Christmas lights- we call em blinkers. But the garmin seems to be better for those who want to watch the fish bite the bait. But i have no idea what a visualizer box is /does?

bluball

Thank you. I have an AT 2 . I love it. Looks a little different than the garmin. I think the AT 2 is better for locating school- they show up like Christmas lights- we call em blinkers. But the garmin seems to be better for those who want to watch the fish bite the bait. But i have no idea what a visualizer box is /does?
Which one I'd better I don't have a honest opinion from myself.But everyone we know who started with the active target usually end up with the livescope later on and they say it's better.I try not to give a personal opinion unless I have lots of hours use with both products.Jake lawrence,he's been winning a lot of bass tournaments the last month,chase Petty won wally Marshall's crappie expo a couple weeks ago are some of the guys running our visualizer.On the livescope it makes it a little clearer farther out and helps separate fish from the bottom when they are on the bottom.Heres a link but we don't advertise the one for Lowrance ,gotta call and order if interested.

Crow Terminator

I went back yesterday and crappie were on my trees. But...all summer long, all I was catching were white crappie. Yesterday all I caught were black crappie and not a single white.
20231012_112902.jpg

redblood

Which one I'd better I don't have a honest opinion from myself.But everyone we know who started with the active target usually end up with the livescope later on and they say it's better.I try not to give a personal opinion unless I have lots of hours use with both products.Jake lawrence,he's been winning a lot of bass tournaments the last month,chase Petty won wally Marshall's crappie expo a couple weeks ago are some of the guys running our visualizer.On the livescope it makes it a little clearer farther out and helps separate fish from the bottom when they are on the bottom.Heres a link but we don't advertise the one for Lowrance ,gotta call and order if interested.

Im sure its whatever you are used to and how you fish. Im building a jet river rig and will be adding another unit. So i may end up with a livescope too, although im so use to my lowrance it may be a hard switch. Is the lowrance visualizer priced the same as the garmin

bluball

Im sure its whatever you are used to and how you fish. Im building a jet river rig and will be adding another unit. So i may end up with a livescope too, although im so use to my lowrance it may be a hard switch. Is the lowrance visualizer priced the same as the garmin
Yep priced the same as the garmin.

Latest posts