Warm Season Grasses...

justoneshot10

Was thinking about putting some out on my property for more cover around foodplots, ditch lines and also along the road so it will be harder for poachers to spot my deer. I have read alot on switchgrass which is also great cover during the winter months when it is dormant. Just curious if anyone has experience with it. Also I have about 300 to 400 yards of powerlines through a section of woods. Does TVA allow you to put foodplots there? Its grown up and really thick and I believe it would be a great location. thanks

BSK

A mix of Native Warm-Season Grass (NWSG) species is best. I would certainly add big bluestem as well as a few other species.

Yes, you can put food plots in power-line right-of-ways, but be careful, as sometimes TVA sprays right-of-ways with some truly evil chemicals.

Football Hunter

I would do a more traditional food plot,like clover on the powerlines.Something that wouldnt bother them,maybe they wouldnt wanna spray,maybe leave the ends thick,to keep out road hunters.If that is the situation.

BSK

Football Hunter said:
I would do a more traditional food plot,like clover on the powerlines.Something that wouldnt bother them,maybe they wouldnt wanna spray,maybe leave the ends thick,to keep out road hunters.If that is the situation.

TVA wiped out two of my right-of-way plots. Big obvious ones and they still cooked them with chemicals from a helicopter. Nothing would grow in those plots for a year afterwards.

Football Hunter

BSK said:
Football Hunter said:

TVA wiped out two of my right-of-way plots. Big obvious ones and they still cooked them with chemicals from a helicopter. Nothing would grow in those plots for a year afterwards.
That sucks

BSK

justoneshot10 said:
Is there a way to let them know so they wouldnt spray? Maybe tell them that you will keep the growth under control?

Tried that. All they say is the area covered by the contractors is too large to list individual areas to avoid, and usually "sorry for killing your food plot."

jmb4wd

Just remember about those NWSG, is that they are somewhat difficult to establish and often takes up to 3 years to have a really great stand. I love to see a great CRP field and hunt over them even better!!!

BSK

If the people planting them know what they are doing, you should have a great stand of NWSG the second year of growth. However, that first year you're going to swear the planting was a total failure.

Boll Weevil

Speaking of spraying (in preparation for spring planting) is an Arsenal or Roundup application effective outside of the active growing season? In other words, how well does it kill undesirable vegetation between now and spring planting?

landman

I spend 5 days in Illinois hunting with another land agent on his personal tract, he was heavy into switch grass, had used it for screening and cover. Got a lot of info from him, think I'm going to go with what he suggested, Cave-n-Rock Switch Grass (3 lbs per acre) and Russian Kura Clover ( 3 lbs/acre) QDMA says this clover has a history of living 100 years

Football Hunter

Boll Weevil said:
Speaking of spraying (in preparation for spring planting) is an Arsenal or Roundup application effective outside of the active growing season? In other words, how well does it kill undesirable vegetation between now and spring planting?
Dont know about arsenal,but roundup only works on activly growing plants.

Football Hunter

BSK said:
justoneshot10 said:
Is there a way to let them know so they wouldnt spray? Maybe tell them that you will keep the growth under control?

Tried that. All they say is the area covered by the contractors is too large to list individual areas to avoid, and usually "sorry for killing your food plot."
Maybe you can plant a clover plot,and spell out "DONT SPRAY PLEASE" with wheat or something :) Could work?

BSK

Boll Weevil said:

Arsenal works best in late summer and early fall (as water is moving down into the roots). I know Round-up won't kill non-growing plants and I believe Arsenal is the same.

Boll Weevil

Thanks guys.

I reckon I'll have to just mow/knock it down now and then wait till early spring to spray. Was thinking I might somehow get away without a pre-emergent application.