WANTED: Reloader for .410 shotshells

FULLDRAWXX75

I am looking for a good/used reloader, my son has started shooting and his grandfather has gotten him shooting skeet. The cost of shells will kill me before long..............

Please drop me a note if you have any equipment for sale.

Thanks

FDXX75

FULLDRAWXX75

Yep, already on there. Just thought I would check here as well, I have purchase alot of good items for some great folks here.
It is a place you can trust.

I have my eye on a reloader on ebay, if I purchase it I will post here to end the search.

Thanks all

FDXX75

Tiny

Just a note 410's were a bit of a pain to load for us years ago the shot would log jam in the tube on our Mec 700 esp 4,5,an 6's don't recall how th 7.5's did. Might want to keep a plastic hammer handy or a handle of a screw driver in case you have need of it to tap the drop tube.

Tiny

Chaneylake said:
word of caution, teaching shotgun shooting skills while using .410 can cause problems, jmo

If you don't mind,would like to hear about those problems.

Not wishing to casue a stink or anything...I did a good bit of busting things with a 410 as a kid but had already shot some with 20ga and later with a 16ga.

I think I know what your thinking is just like to see if I'am thinking along the same. ;)

FULLDRAWXX75

Chaneylake said:
word of caution, teaching shotgun shooting skills while using .410 can cause problems, jmo

Chaneylake,

Please share your thoughts/opinion on the subject, either here or PM me, I am very curious to hear what you are thinking.

Thank you.

FDXX75

Chaneylake

I am refering mainly to moving targets, doves, running rabbits, etc, anything that is not sitting still. sure the .410 has little or no recoil, it also has very litte shot pellets.

with such a small amount of shot in the air, misses are quite common with the .410, the more the misses the more the "shooters confidence" goes to zero

a 20 gauge, imo, would be a much more suitable shotgun

while teaching kids at my skeet range, I will not let them shoot the .410, I will go mainly with the 20 ga.

every once in a while I will let some "cocky kid" shoot his .410 at the range, the misses will usually be 3-4 times greater, after 1 round of skeet [25 shots], the student will grab the 20 gauge and basically never mention the .410 again

most all single barrels carry a lot of kick with them
I like to see a new shooter/hunter start with a pump shotgun, this will make the new/learning shooter not to become trigger happy, plus having to pump the gun, imo, also gives a small added safety type feature

I hope that the above is helpful, please feel free to ask any questions

always remember the following

the .410 is the easiest to shoot because of very little felt recoil

the .410 is the hardest to hit with because of such a small shot charge

LeatherLungz

[font:Comic Sans MS]I used to squirrel hunt a lot with a .410 when I was a kid (teen).

Did a lot of head stomping and tree smacking too, lol.

Leon [/font]

Chaneylake

Chaneylake said:
I am refering mainly to moving targets, doves, running rabbits, etc, anything that is not sitting still. sure the .410 has little or no recoil, it also has very litte shot pellets.

with such a small amount of shot in the air, misses are quite common with the .410, the more the misses the more the "shooters confidence" goes to zero

while teaching kids at my skeet range, I will not let them shoot the .410, I will go mainly with the 20 ga.

every once in a while I will let some "cocky kid" shoot his .410 at the range, the misses will usually be 3-4 times greater, after 1 round of skeet [25 shots], the student will grab the 20 gauge and basically never mention the .410 again

I like to see a new shooter/hunter start with a pump shotgun, this will make the new/learning shooter not to become trigger happy, plus having to pump the gun, imo, also gives a small added safety type feature

gun fit plays a large role in shotgun shooting

"if the gun dont fit, you aint gonna hit", is an age old shotgun shooting phrase, I will address this topic later

FULLDRAWXX75

Thanks Chaney,

I understand completely what you are saying, has two guns.........a Iver Johnson single barrel and his grandfather just gave him his Rem. 870 pump.

My boy has been to the range twice so far (his only two times behind either gun) he was 7 for 20 his first time out. I didn't think that was bad at all for never shooting the gun before.

He is small in size and I did want to have him get beat up by the 20 or 12 right off the start. He is as excited as a hound during rabbit season about shooting and even hitting the targets.

I appreciate the info.

FDXX75

woodchuckc

A 20 ga autoloader will shoot with less recoil than a 410 single shot or pump in my experience (light reloads in the 20 ga). Just load one shell at a time to let him get some confidence on the skeet range before throwing doubles and you don't have to worry about jamming with the light loads. Once he gets more used to the recoil you can use standard skeet loads and start shooting doubles.

It is hard to beat a Remington 1100, and used ones are plentiful.

Tiny

Chaneylake said:
Chaneylake said:

gun fit plays a large role in shotgun shooting

"if the gun dont fit, you aint gonna hit", is an age old shotgun shooting phrase, I will address this topic later

Don't disagree with anything you mentioned above just would point out that one doesn't need to be on a skeet range to learn to shoot air targets nor need a target thrower either.

I learned to shot air targets with hand thrown tin cans,by my uncle and dad in the back yard with a 410,also shot alot of black brids and starlings with it as well way back when.Moved up to a hand clay target thrower and later one of the chocolate chip cookie and pull rope ones as up in Ga.

Someone who learns to hit well with a 410 will be a better shot IMO assumeing they stay in practice and don't pick up any bad habits as I have done.Doubt I could hit a air or moveing just off the muzzle any more.

Latest posts