Want to take my dad catfishing - any tips on where to go? (West to West-Middle TN)

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Would be willing to rent a boat if needed.

Just hoping to find a spot to go catfishing and take my dad.
We have decent luck at Browns Creek Lake and Maple Creek Lake on Natchez Trace Park. You don't have to have a boat, but we usually use ours just to get out away from the bank a little ways. They do have rentals at Browns, but unless you want to paddle, you'll need a trolling motor and battery if I'm remembering right. We usually use chicken tenders cut to about 1 inch cubes for bait.

DeerCamp

We have decent luck at Browns Creek Lake and Maple Creek Lake on Natchez Trace Park. You don't have to have a boat, but we usually use ours just to get out away from the bank a little ways. They do have rentals at Browns, but unless you want to paddle, you'll need a trolling motor and battery if I'm remembering right. We usually use chicken tenders cut to about 1 inch cubes for bait.
Any tips on which parts of the lake to fish?

WTM

i40 exit 133. ward hill rd is right there go down it and veer to the left. it will take you to under the i40 bridge. water should be low enough to get on the bank and fsh under the bridge and all of the banks. on the left side there is a point that drops off into deep water and a 30 ft ledge that runs the bank. you should catch some fish around the pilings if you can cast that far and off that ledge.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Any tips on which parts of the lake to fish?
It's pretty much the same for catfish anywhere on these as they are smaller lakes. Brown is around 160 acres, and Maples is 65ish. There is good bank access along the parking area on Maples, or over on/near the pier. On Browns, if you're looking at the lake from the parking area the bank to the right I see a lot of folks, and along the left is a pier. Near and close to the pier and on down in the corner away from the parking area we've caught a few. If you opt for the boat, straight out from the ramp and to the right is a drop off about 20 yards out from the first corner. We usually find a spot to bluegill fish off one side of the boat and throw catfish lines off the other side and sit at anchor for a while. If nothing is hitting, we move in about 30 mins and try another spot.

X-Tennessean

Id suggest a guide as well. The upfront cost detours a bunch of folks but when you sit down and figure all the added cost and even the non cost additives it will make sense I promise!! Not to mention on a body of water you potentially know nothing about.

Me for example, two Fridays ago I went with a local guide on Ky Lake for blue cats. I fish KY Lake every weekend for crappie and even catfish but never knew how to target them outside of spawning season much less blue cats specifically, I have a boat and all the fancy electronics (which I am pretty proficient using) along with a place on the lake to stay!!
It was well worth the cost of an 8 hour trip for 2 people to not only catch 85 blues and keep 30 to clean but what I left with at the end of the day.....the knowledge of what to look for, when and why, and his technique of catching them!!
I guarantee that I can go back now and have an enjoyable trip and feel accomplished. Did I mention I had fished the very spots multiple times in the past? Lol

I will be the first to admit, spending money to learn something you may not know or that could benefit you down the road is not an expense but an investment. I have taken boat electronics trips, crappie trips and now catfishing trips. I feel it has saved me money in the end whether it be from time spent on the water or what and what not to do!

If KY Lake is an option for you, let me know and I will gladly share the guide info with you. He was excellent!!
I had to remind him multiple times...."you don't have to bait my hook"! Lol

DeerCamp

Id suggest a guide as well. The upfront cost detours a bunch of folks but when you sit down and figure all the added cost and even the non cost additives it will make sense I promise!! Not to mention on a body of water you potentially know nothing about.

Me for example, two Fridays ago I went with a local guide on Ky Lake for blue cats. I fish KY Lake every weekend for crappie and even catfish but never knew how to target them outside of spawning season much less blue cats specifically, I have a boat and all the fancy electronics (which I am pretty proficient using) along with a place on the lake to stay!!
It was well worth the cost of an 8 hour trip for 2 people to not only catch 85 blues and keep 30 to clean but what I left with at the end of the day.....the knowledge of what to look for, when and why, and his technique of catching them!!
I guarantee that I can go back now and have an enjoyable trip and feel accomplished. Did I mention I had fished the very spots multiple times in the past? Lol

I will be the first to admit, spending money to learn something you may not know or that could benefit you down the road is not an expense but an investment. I have taken boat electronics trips, crappie trips and now catfishing trips. I feel it has saved me money in the end whether it be from time spent on the water or what and what not to do!

If KY Lake is an option for you, let me know and I will gladly share the guide info with you. He was excellent!!
I had to remind him multiple times...."you don't have to bait my hook"! Lol
KY Lake is absolutely an option.

I've only been on guided Striper trips before, never catfish, but definitely interested.

rem270

I know you said West or Middle but I would really consider going to Chattanooga and fish with Richard and Scenic City Fishing Charters. Those guys are top notch and do their best to get you on fish. And the best part is all you have to do is walk down the ramp and get in the boat and then get in the truck and leave afterwards.

Latest posts