Vortex Viper scopes

squirrel_hunter

I been looking at a few scopes. Going to put it on my Xbolt 280AI rifle. The ones i been looking at.
Viper 4x16x44mm HS LR
Viper 4x16x50mm HS LR
Viper 4x16x44mm HS
Viper 6.5x20x50 PA.
Places i hunt i can shoot out to 600 yards.
Is the Viper 4x16x44mm HS LR hard to use? I have never used a scope like this. I will be learning how to use it as i go on. Are they worth the money?

GMB54

The short answer is there are more durable and better tracking scopes for $700 such as the SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP or Sightron SIII line. Both made in Japan by Kenko. SWFA often has sales. Ive seen that scope as low as $550 and more often for $600. Cameraland just had some great deals on Sightrons but i think most of them are over.

Something like this is a better made scope than the Viper lineup and cost is fairly similar.

Last edited:

DaveTN

I have a Vortex VIPER 6.5-20X44 PA. It takes me longer to get a good sight picture than it does with my Leupold 6.5-20x40 VX-III LR. To be fair, the Leupold is nearly twice the price. But I also suspect having progressive lenses in my glasses is a part of that. Which reminds me I need to make an eyes doctors appt to address that. :)

GMB54

I've bought a few vipers. I don't think they're worth $600, but I got mine around $300 new. Worth it at that price
Ive seen the HSLR for sale much cheaper too. At a good sale price they are worth looking at just dont be surprised if you need to use the warranty. Main thing i like about Vortex is they are lighter and CS is pretty easy to deal with. The BDC/VMR reticles are not bad either for hunting. Easy to see and not cluttered.

IIRC it was sportsmans that had a really good deal recently on them.

Last edited:

MUP

I don't have any of the above listed Vortex scopes, but I do have the 6x24x50 Vortex Diamondback Tactical and a 5x25x56 34mm tube Venom. So far, for cheap Philippines made scopes they're doing fine. I have the Venom on a CZ Varmint Trainer .22 and it's doing very well. The DB Tactical is on my Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmoor and it handles 1000 yard distances very well.

GMB54

So far, for cheap Philippines made scopes they're doing fine
You sure those are not made in China?....Last time i looked i could have sworn they were.

Says so right on the box dont it?

Jcalder

Ive seen the HSLR for sale much cheaper too. At a good sale price they are worth looking at just dont be surprised if you need to use the warranty. Main thing i like about Vortex is they are lighter and CS is pretty easy to deal with. The BDC/VMR reticles are not bad either for hunting. Easy to see and not cluttered.

IIRC it was sportsmans that had a really good deal recently on them.
I have 2 of the hs and 1 hslr. I do agree with the warranty and hope to not have any trouble. I wish the bdc reticle was more of moa spacing than a generic oddball spacing.

693355DE-161A-495D-8C5C-105F23166A51.jpeg

MUP

You sure those are not made in China?....Last time i looked i could have sworn they were.

Says so right on the box dont it?
Could very well be, I haven't looked at the boxes since I took them out. 😉 And only thru the lenses after I mounted them.

GMB54

Meopta has a new MeoSport too for about $450. You could not give me one of the Chinese made Vortex scopes. For $500 you can get a Sightron STAC 4-20x50 FFP too.

Heckuva a lot better scope than a Chinese made Vortex.

TNRifleman

squirrel_hunter

Going this weekend to look at Leopold. I like the Leopold vx3 HD 4.5x14x40 Side Focus CDS-ZL scope. And the Meopta scopes look good.

skipperbrown

If you can bump up your budget the Razor LHT is getting really good reviews for both the first and second focal plane scopes. Competing against the LHT is the new Burris scope for about the same price.

GMB54

Going this weekend to look at Leopold. I like the Leopold vx3 HD 4.5x14x40 Side Focus CDS-ZL scope. And the Meopta scopes look good.
They are over priced for what you get. As mentioned...watch for a deal on the VX5.....I meen at $600- $700 for a 3HD, it aint even close to other scopes in that price range. There are just so many better scopes in the price range and a VX5 can be found for really good price occasionally.

Jcalder

They are over priced for what you get. As mentioned...watch for a deal on the VX5.....I meen at $600- $700 for a 3HD, it aint even close to other scopes in that price range. There are just so many better scopes in the price range and a VX5 can be found for really good price occasionally.
I had a vx3i and it was not worth what midway charges. $550-600. Sold the one I had and bought a $300 viper.

GMB54

Yeah its sad. I got a SII BigSky 3x9x42 for $211 that will walk all over Loopies costing twice as much. Just as light, great glass, reset turrets and nice eye relief. Plus its probably far more durable. I meen guys that just want to shoot paper for fun should look no further than the $300 SWFA SS fixed scopes. They do exactly what they are made to do and will handle abuse. I gave $217 with caps for mine shipped during one of their sales. Sightron STACs in duplex are another bargain. Ive seen them as low as $250. Ive got 2 of them also and neither one cost me over $300.

People really should shop around better. That Venom for example will get spanked by an Arken or even an Athon Midas Tac (on sale) as far as build quality. Im no fan of Chinese made scopes but Athlon has a couple they are far better than you would imagine....They just cost too much atm.

squirrel_hunter

A guy told me today put little more money with it. And get the Leopold vx5 HD 4.5x14x40 Side Focus CDS-ZL scope. Guy show me a zeiss C4 4x16x44mm. Cant remember its exact number. It had been put on a gun. And he didnt like it. He wanted a different scope.

Latest posts