Vol Fans Only

Spurhunter

For fun let's assume Tennessee gets into the playoff and has a rematch with Georgia. What could they do differently? This game was won in the trenches. UGA's offensive and defensive lines dominated the game. The Vol pass rushers couldn't hurry Bennett, much less sack him. Hooker had no time in the pocket at all, and as a team the Vols only rushed for 94 yards. I don't think Tennessee's lines are going to improve that much this year. What makes you think a rematch would be any different?

gasman

Go back to the game plan that got them to where they are. I think Hooker knew that the game plan changed and he wasn't comfortable with it. Yeah, the D-Line was the best he has seen all year, but the play calling was different and that alone rattled him a bit. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Will be interested to see the next 3 games to see if they go back to what they do best. Fast paced passing game.

Spurhunter

Go back to the game plan that got them to where they are. I think Hooker knew that the game plan changed and he wasn't comfortable with it. Yeah, the D-Line was the best he has seen all year, but the play calling was different and that alone rattled him a bit. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Will be interested to see the next 3 games to see if they go back to what they do best. Fast paced passing game.
I agree that this offense was much different than the usual, but it's hard to play hurry up when your QB is on his back after most plays.

SC Manimal

The O line is what it is. J. Wright was ineffective picking up blitz. My guess would be quick outs to him or TE to keep them honest on rush. Screens won't work because they rarely miss an assignment or tackle. UGA may have the best Oline/Dline combo I've seen. UT won't win many of those battles so coaching staff will need to be creative. I hope they get a rematch.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
EXACTLY!!!!!!!
Blows my mind!
All I am hearing is it was Georgia's fast defense.
Yes they are good and fast but abandoning what they have done all year reminded me of the vols the last 10 years.

Displaced_Vol

See there's multiple issues at play here.

Line needed to be more physical on both sides of the ball no doubt.
Lots of those sacks were on Hooker also, he held the ball forever and got to a point he couldn't scramble out of the pocket or even throw it away.
So you could put some of that on UGA secondary and they did play well, but put some of it on our receivers for not getting separation off the line. They honestly made some hay targeting Tillman and when it wasn't complete, they got their CB for holding 3 times I think? Holding not PI because they were riding him off the line. Exploit that more, and with Bru also.

We did not looked prepared for a hostile environment. Their place is no Neyland but it was loud enough to affect our guys and we had plenty of self inflicted wounds. A neutral site should negate some of that. I think we were flat all over the field.

Overall you're right Spur we're not going to make drastic talent improvements in the next 3-4 weeks. Especially in the secondary. Can our coaches scheme better on both sides? I think yes but so can UGA right?

Spurhunter

EXACTLY!!!!!!!
Blows my mind!
Yes they are good and fast but abandoning what they have done all year reminded me of the vols the last 10 years.
I just can't believe they willingly abandoned what got them there. It had to be taken away by the crowd noise and defense. Maybe I'm wrong.

UCStandSitter

EXACTLY!!!!!!!
Blows my mind!
I don't think they had a choice though. For most of the game I was yellin at the TV about the play calling and then I realized, our recievers were covered like a blanket. Simply couldn't get it to em. Was brutal

scn

GA is clearly the better team.

But, the next game would be on a more neutral site. The crowd noise triggered a bunch of false starts at very critical times. There were a couple of plays early that changed it from an interesting game to GA dominating. When Hooker missed Hyatt down the sideline, that was a swing of 7 points. And, the best punt you will ever see was another 7 point swing before it was over. It was an obvious safety down there, and I think the Vols would have been better off if it had been called as such.

Even on a neutral field, I think GA beats the Vols at least 8 out of 10 times. There is that much difference in the player quality. But, if there is a round 2, a play here or there could make it interesting.

PalsPal

But, if there is a round 2, a play here or there could make it interesting.

I think a rematch would be a much closer game, especially on a neutral field.

I keep thinking Ga/Bama last year in the SEC champ game. Bama had a chip on their shoulder, and played like it. They couldn't muster the same intensity in the NC game. I think rematch might parallel this.

Concerning the playcalling, I imagine Heupel and the coaches are their worst critics, and have been rewatching film since early this morning.

But, if Small is out for the season, I don't think we can beat them.

cbhunter

The O line is what it is. J. Wright was ineffective picking up blitz. My guess would be quick outs to him or TE to keep them honest on rush. Screens won't work because they rarely miss an assignment or tackle. UGA may have the best Oline/Dline combo I've seen. UT won't win many of those battles so coaching staff will need to be creative. I hope they get a rematch

Lots of truth in your post. Got to have some quick release routes to go to when you have so much sudden pressure. If you go look at Tennessee's offense this year, they really only have a few pass plays. It all revolves around screens and play action. That's really about it

K-dub

The main issue was the noise and nerves in the beginning. We got in a hole that we couldn't get out of. Georgia only scored 3 points after we settled down.

Attachments

• AD07E0B0-4B71-4A5A-9BED-EEDCBA96BC1C.png
    AD07E0B0-4B71-4A5A-9BED-EEDCBA96BC1C.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 33

Grandslam11

We had 2-3 over throws that could have been huge plays. They have good enough players to play man to man and contest every position. By playing man they took away our ability to scheme (Hyatt being wide open)

I think we just had an off game and you can credit that to the atmosphere there and the gap in talent/depth.

We are in year 2 of a total rebuild. I don't think the fan base needs to panic.

This year's Championship is UGAs to lose for sure.

Gravey

I'm not sure they could do anything different and get the W. The line on both sides of the ball were dominated by Georgia. Wide receivers couldn't get any separation. Hooker held on to the ball too long taking sacks and missed a few throws that he hasn't missed all year. Running game was a no show. Fix all of that and sure they have a chance but I'd still pick Georgia.

SC Manimal

Lots of truth in your post. Got to have some quick release routes to go to when you have so much sudden pressure. If you go look at Tennessee's offense this year, they really only have a few pass plays. It all revolves around screens and play action. That's really about it
Yep and they were too fast for play action and shed blocks too well for screen. UT had some success with the delayed handoff though when safeties and corners were sprinting untouched around the edge. I don't think UT wins a rematch but the coaching staff are smart enough to give them fits if they get a round 2.

Latest posts