Valentine Yote

bigdoc

I found this guy waiting on me after I got back from church. He was rubbed some but I just give them away anyway. I like catching a few each year to help on the fawn population. This was a MB550 single coil, I have had some pull outs with some Bridger traps that I got last year. I bought the Bridger new last year and had no pull outs with them, put this year I have not held a single one. IDK

Attachments

• KIMG0469.jpg
    KIMG0469.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 3,162

TN Song Dog

Good looking catch! Are the problematic bridgers the #3, and are they 2 coil or 4 coil? About how much pan tension do they have? We had a few pull out of some duke #4, but the bridger #3 4 coiled seem to be holding good. We also increased pan tension a bit closer to 3.5 lb, and that seems to of helped get deeper catches.

Good to hear the 550s are holding them good.

bigdoc

I cut the long spring pins off the Bridgers , so tomorrow I am going to order extra springs and new spring pins to 4 coil them. I really like the MB550"s way more, they hold good and bed a lot easier.IMO

pass-thru

bigdoc":3w2qklyo said:
I cut the long spring pins off the Bridgers , so tomorrow I am going to order extra springs and new spring pins to 4 coil them. I really like the MB550"s way more, they hold good and bed a lot easier.IMO

Just replace the existing springs with #3 music wire and there will be no need to 4 coil them.

bigdoc

Thanks pass-thru,I haven't thought of that. I will order some tomorrow. I run about 3lbs. pan tension.

bigdoc

I checked the pan tension and they average 3lbs. I ordered the music wire springs for those traps. The pull outs could have just been bad luck. Thanks

pass-thru

Running no pan tension can lead to toe catches, which can makes for an easier pull or twist out. If you have a full pad catch and they are pulling out, that is definitely the springs. Bridger stock springs are know for lasting a couple years and then needing replacement. The music wire will last you the life of the trap.

I only run 1.5-2#'s because I find running more leads to misses on greys due to their small size. 3# is definitely plenty. Actually now missing greys is probably a good thing due to the low price of fur.

bigdoc

Yes pass-thru, we have so few foxes anymore I will release one if caught, unless I get one really beautiful one to put on my wall. The yotes have cleaned the foxes out around here, very sad. :evil:

Latest posts