UTV side by side. Ranger or Rhino?

jard

I think I want to get rid of my rancher and get a side by side. I am looking for a used one around the 05-07 range as they are about 5K from what I have seen and thats about all i want to spend. I have found several of these on craigslist and just want some advice. I do not mud at all. I hunt a 100 acre property that I haul wood and stands on that has good logging roads for the most part. I will also use it to pull a small trailer and do food plot work. I have three children 9, 4, and 3 years old that love to ride with me and play along with my wife who also likes to hunt.

I appreciate everyone's opinion. I've never owned a side by side but have driven a few. What do I need to look for and ask. I have a trailer that I pull my quad on so transportation isnt an issue.

Thanks,
Justin

Gravey

I recently sold an 07 rhino that I'd owned for three years. Ran great and never any issues other than being a little cold natured because it was not fuel injected. They do make a kit to switch it over for about $100. If you have three kids that want to ride around at the same time that will be difficult as the rhino has bucket seats.

As for the ranger I know a lot of people like them but if you gave me one I'd sell it immediately. My brother in law bought a new one two years ago and 3 out of the last 4 times he's had it down at our lease its quit running. They were all minor things but doesn't matter when you're 5 miles from camp.

UPDATE: went to the lease today to do some work and brother in law took his ranger. Ran fine for a while and then all of a sudden started shutting down every little bit. Saying he's a little pissed off is an understatement. It is only 3 years old and has something like maybe 30 hours. Be interesting to see what the dealer says in the morning but that's now 4 out of the last 5 times he's used it that it didn't do right.

markjoz

I would look at the 2016 Viking...much quieter than the 14's and 15's, very nice rig. The issue with rangers to me is why are there so many used ones for sale with low hours. I know they sell more of them than the other brands but to me that is indicative of a problem. If you do go Polaris get one with the engine under the bed, the ones with the engine under the seat make it almost unbearable to ride in the summer.

saddleman1

Looking at that machine right now, where did you buy from if I can ask, Abernathy's has the best price I can find so far, trying to get a dealer around Knoxville to match or get within $200 of their price.

Latest posts