Utah Draws

nwsg76

Very much so.... I went in to apply but realized that I needed a new license...
Think I will wait a couple weeks so I can take advantage of buy one get one free....
At last that part makes me feel better about the annual rejected letter.

nwsg76

I believe that you do have to buy license. But you can use 1 license to cover 2 years if you plan correctly.
I would always apply.....just apply for a unit that is difficult to draw.....someone has to get lucky and it cost you the same money I believe.

AT Hiker

Yes, you must purchase the license. That's why you might as well go ahead and apply for all species. That stretches your license investment out.
Utah just sent me a email letting me know mine expires end of Feb, so I have a couple weeks to apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LanceS4803

Chestnut Farmer,
I'll get my Annual License at the end of Feb, so I am covered for this year.
Then for 2019, I'll apply in early Feb and be covered again. (But if you get drawn in 2019, HA HA HA, you'll have to buy a new license before Fall.)
Two years for one license.

wjohnson1983

LanceS4803":1upnjk0m said:
Chestnut Farmer,
I'll get my Annual License at the end of Feb, so I am covered for this year.
Then for 2019, I'll apply in early Feb and be covered again. (But if you get drawn in 2019, HA HA HA, you'll have to buy a new license before Fall.)
Two years for one license.

Apparently my question didn't post yesterday, but you pretty much just answered it.

I was going to have to call F&G. The way I interpreted the regulations when I read last week was that your license only had to be good on the day you applied for the draw. Not even the day the draw closed. I also thought it meant if you drew a tag, you wouldn't have to buy a new hunting license for the fall since you had a valid license when you applied.

I don't really have to worry about it for another 15 - 20 years though.

LanceS4803

NR basic is $65
NR combo is $85 (I go ahead and get this one)

cut and paste-
When do you need a license?
If you plan to hunt game animals in Utah, you must have a hunting license. There are two main types of hunting licenses:

Basic hunting license — This license allows you to hunt small game, including most species of waterfowl and upland game. It also allows you to apply for the separate hunting permits you need in order to hunt certain species (for example, big game, bear, cougar and other animals).
Combination license — This license includes all the benefits of the basic license, and it allows you to fish.

LanceS4803

I'm coming up with a different plan this year. As I hunt with a UT Resident, we apply together. Unfortunately, that puts us in a different category and we never get drawn.
It has been recommended that we split up. He apply he year (and will get drawn) and I will go with him for support and learn the area. I will aplly next year (and maybe get drawn), and he will go with me.
Who knows, but someday I will get a tag.

LanceS4803

AT Hiker

LanceS4803":31vkrugt said:
AT Hiker":31vkrugt said:
Just gave UT $60!

Going to give it another week so I have more wiggle room next year.

AT, have you seen this site? I used to use anothe site, but it seems to have gone away.
http://utahbiggameodds.blogspot.com/p/drawing-analysis-v20.html

And this is excellent. Seems to give you a pretty good ifea of where you stand in the points, by species.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B22fSYnRo8RddEVhQzZReVJmVzQ/view

So your telling me I have a chance to draw Henry Mountains! Better yet I can wait 4900 years, yea baby! Nice links, I need to study up on them some more.

My license expire this year so I went ahead and applied, next year I will wait later in the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LanceS4803

Those are ugly charts.
With my 13 LE Deer points, there are only THREE hunts (of any configuration of weapon) that I would be able to draw.
For pronghorn with 8 points, I could draw from two. For elk with 8 points, I could draw from three hunts.

The problem is that with point creep, I don't think I will ever get any closer to hunts that take even 14 or 15 points.

tn droptine

I moved to Utah a few months ago, so I was fortunate to put in as a resident. I didn't apply for any of the LE elk tags, as I will just be hunting the General season elk. I'm hoping to get drawn for dedicated hunter program - it gives me a guarantee draw for three years in a row for mule deer in the area I put in for.

Secretary at my office has a niece that drew the once in a lifetime Antelope Island mule tag and killed a giant out on the island! If only I were that lucky to draw

Latest posts