Unload without shooting

jmlost

May be a dumb question-
Firt year useing an in-line. To unload do just remove plug and push out load to the front? Looks like pushing out the back would make a mess?

Otterman

If it's loose powder it may be a little messy. The pellets fall out and then I just push the bullet out the back.

jmlost

I use loose powder. I think I will just try to catch powder with a rag and unload tonight. I get worried bring gun in warm house after being outside in the cold may absorb some moisture.
Shot a deer sat. cleaned loaded Sunday. Hunted Monday and not again till Sat. May be just thinking too hard.....

cecil30-30

J-Col. said:
I use loose powder. I think I will just try to catch powder with a rag and unload tonight. I get worried bring gun in warm house after being outside in the cold may absorb some moisture.
Shot a deer sat. cleaned loaded Sunday. Hunted Monday and not again till Sat. May be just thinking too hard.....
I wouldn't worry about it..I've never had any problems.

ratsnakeboogy

J-Col. said:

I leave mine in the garage if I'm going back out the next day, I figure it keeps the temperature a bit more stable that way, avoids a lot of condensation. Who knows, may not help at all but makes me feel better. :grin:

WTM

ive left it in my truck and brought it in the house too. i just keep it zipped up in the gun case so it warms up slowly. no problem with 777 powder, but those crappy white hots are a problem.

tasaman

Leave it loaded. If you do bring it in the house bring it in a case and it won't warm up too quickly and you'll be fine. I've been doing it for years. Done it with Triple 7 and Blackhorn and smokeless MLs. Goes bang every time.

94user

Leave it loaded. The temperature differences are not far apart enough right now to cause problems. The loose powder will also catch on the anti-seize lube in the barrel threads and make a mess. Trust me, I've done it.

SuperX2

I keep mine loaded and in the case inside as well.

But if the end of my season comes around and I have a load in the gun, I'll just take out the breach plug and run a patch on the end of my ramrod through the barrel toward the muzzle to push the load out.

I shoot loose Pyrodex so I just catch the powder and bullet in a bucket on the floor (obviously pushing through the barrel pointing downward).

Like others have said, in my opinion that is easier to clean than the fouling that comes from actually firing the gun.

Good luck!

jakeway

94user said:
Leave it loaded. The temperature differences are not far apart enough right now to cause problems. The loose powder will also catch on the anti-seize lube in the barrel threads and make a mess. Trust me, I've done it.

Big time.

If pellets, push out the breech; if loose, shoot. If hunting in the next day or two, do neither. I've left mine loaded for as long as two weeks, but now I unload if it's been loaded more than a few days. Powder and bullets are cheap, and it doesn't take that long to clean if only one shot has been fired.

Latest posts