under armor

jb3

Overrated in my opinion. I prefer a poly pro base, then my walmart thermals, wool shirt, bibbs & coat. Usually not cold enough around here to worry about too much. I do stock up on the hand warmers and the larger ones. Put a couple of the large ones inside your bibbs and your good to go.

Sting

Expensive, but worth it. I have tried other brands to try and find a cheaper substitute, but have not found one yet that is even close.

skynimrod

Not for me at that price.
Gotten along with out it for 36 yrs so far. 25 yrs of that out west. Never used it Snow skiing, or ice fishing ether.

skynimrod

Yea polys have worked fine for me. Thin for warm, thick for cold.
I had a fish net t-shirt at one time. Hotter than heck> :grin:

WingNut

mountain man 71 said:
What do you think about under armor cold gear. Is it worth the money.

The cold gear shirt YES, the pants heck no. I got the BassPro poly and they are way better and you can buy two pair for the price of one under armor pair.

Buzzard Breath

I run and exercise outdoors 4-6 days a week, all year, no matter the weather. I also have purchased about every piece of "cold gear" type clothing so I wouldn't have to spend the money on UA. Once I bought the UA, I will not buy anything else for running in the winter. It's that good. But, I hardly wear it for hunting. There are much cheaper products that work similarly if all you're going to do is go and sit in a stand, or still hunt. I only wear my UA cold gear when I'm hunting hogs in the mountains in December and I'm going to be walking alot.

One thing to remember with any moisture wicking fabric, like UA, is "Do not use any fabric softener when washing or drying, not even dryer sheets". It makes the moisture wicking properties much less efficient.

Bagg-it Tag-it

I've been a fan of poly pro underwear for years. However, UA is way ahead of the nearest competitor. I like it because I can wear less layers and be less bulky in my clothing. I think it's worth it. When you put it on--it just feels warm.

A

Anonymous

It is expensive, but it is worth every penny. The only thing I've found that lives up to the "warmth without the bulk" claim. Use heat gear early season and switch to cold gear as needed. Cant beat it.

de novo

I got some on clearance from Hibbett's this summer. Tried it out last Friday during the cold snap. Not impressed.

The cheap Rocky black insulated underwear from Walmrt kept me warmer last year on colder days. JMO>

skynimrod

One thing to remember with any moisture wicking fabric, like UA, is "Do not use any fabric softener when washing or drying, not even dryer sheets". It makes the moisture wicking properties much less efficient. [/quote]

Nice Tip!
Thanks

whackmnstackm

skynimrod said:
One thing to remember with any moisture wicking fabric, like UA, is "Do not use any fabric softener when washing or drying, not even dryer sheets". It makes the moisture wicking properties much less efficient.

Nice Tip!
Thanks [/quote]

Guess that's why I think its expensive for its effectiveness. Been washin' my gear the same for years. Good stuff though. Not bulky and is a great underlayer.

moondawg

I bought the Starter brand shirt and pants. It's pretty much the same material as Under Armor Cold Gear...for a LOT less of a price.

I have not been able to find anything comparable to the Under Armor Hood. Guess I'll be spending the money on that, unless someone here knows of something similar.

Latest posts